Silicone Molds

Business By jhuntl01 Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm by jhuntl01

jhuntl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhuntl01 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 10

Someone on here posted that they had made their own silicone mold. I need to make chocolate candyland figures to go on 4 dozen cupcakes for an order and I was wondering where I would get a kit to make a mold. I searched online and they said the craft stores, but I am just not having any luck! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 10

You need food grade silicone. That's all I know.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 10
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 10

Whyat Cylstrial posted are great. I love using the materials from Make Your Own Molds. You can also check out Michaels for a similar product but it doesn't have a lot of work time.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 10

Rylan is correct. Look in the clay isle at Michaels. It is a box - and it is food safe. It will work in a pinch (it is about $20.) I prefer the makeyourownmolds stuff (makes a nicer mold) but in a pinch for time, the stuff at Michaels will work fine.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 10

I purchased a box of "Amazing Mold Putty" from Hobby Lobby and also Silicone Mold materials from makeyourownmolds.com. At that site you are also given a good tutorial on the procedure. I haven't had the opportunity to try either of these products yet but am excited to try. It is relatively expensive, but the molds are practically indestructible and can be used for nearly everything.
I make my own cutters with aluminum flashing, food safe adhesive, scissors and needle nose pliers, so am eager to make my own veiners. I have already spent a small fortune on cutters and veiners and am eager to expand on my own. I use photos of cutters from the various sites and catalogs and so far, so good. HTH

chefO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefO Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 10

Before I got into baking I used to do special effects for the movies. If you need any molds I can make them just drop me a line and we can discuss what you need.
icon_biggrin.gif
happy baking!
[email protected]

chefO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefO Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:34am
post #8 of 10

Before I got into baking I used to do special effects for the movies. If you need any molds I can make them just drop me a line and we can discuss what you need.

[email protected]

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:50am
post #9 of 10

Please let us know once you have tried the Hobby lobby mold and the other to let us know the results, Phots would be great too. Good luck and I hope to try this soon too.!

jhuntl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhuntl01 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I am going tomorrow to Michael's, Joann's and Hobby Lobby to see what they offer. I'll post my results tomorrow for anyone that is interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%