Customers Cake Cracked By Me What Kind Of Discount Do I Give

Decorating By jsc2010 Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 1:18am by CristyInMiami

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 14

HELP!! I made a cake for a customer. When transferring it into the cake box it cracked. I patched it but you can kind of tell it has been patched. At least I can tell. How much of a discount do I give the customer? It's a one layer 11x15 1/2 choc, 1/2 yellow that I was originally charging $35.
Please help!!! Soon
Thanks,
Janer88

13 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 14

I am inclined to say no discount - what YOU can see isn't always the same as what the customer can see. Without a picture it is difficult to give you a definitive advice

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 14

I agree, don't say anything unless the customer does. For the next time, use a stronger board. I use 1/2" foamcore for sheetcakes. (the board under your cake is more than likely why it cracked - it wasn't strong enough)

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 14

Can you show us a picture. Is it the cake or the icing that cracked or both. Hard to say without seeing it.

jsc2010 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 14

I told my customer and showed her where it was patched and she gave me a $10 tip! I gave her an extra board for support and told her to cut the cake box away rather that trying to take it out of the box so that she will avoid it cracking again. thanks for all your advice. Definately need to get better boards for support!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 14

I love customers like that. I love getting tips too! I had a 50.00 tip on a wedding cake before and a 75.00 tip on a bridal shower cake recently! Looovve it!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 14

were you using those!@#$%^&* wilton half sheet pads?

they should be shot for making those.

they fold up all the time...you can get some good ones at sams....50 for just a couple dollars more than 5 of wiltons abominations...yeah i had one fold up on me this weekend too...that's what i get for being to lazy to go to sams!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 14

Do you buy cake boards from the bakery at Sams Club? I didnt know you could do that.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 14

Yes Sams sells boards and boxes I get 50 boards with 50 lids and bottoms for 50.00 I can't beat that in my area, the only thing is they don't sell quart sheets. Well not here anyway. But they do sell the plastic bottoms and lids but I don't know the price. They will tell you just ask.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 14

Sams Club is a heaven for me. They supply you with a lot of things...even colored buttercream! icon_surprised.gif)

Too bad they don't sell fondant if not they would be perfect!

I am glad to have come across this post because sometimes I freak out over the littlest thing and it has happened that in trying to fix it I make it worse.

So yeah, sometimes the customer wouldn't even have noticed!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 14

you can even buy cakes by the case if you are in a bind.

the boxes are the cheapeat around.

you can get icing by the bucket....i love using the 50 pound buckets of fudge...it's like 35 bucks....mix it with buttercream for the best tasting ch. icing ever!

i wish i could find a good source for 1/4 sheet boxes .

jsc2010 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 14

littlecake,
Ugh! yes I was using those wilton boards. Thanks for your suggestions. I sure won't buy those again.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 14

Littlecakes - Are the cake boxes out in the sales area at Sams, or do you have to go to the bakery and ask for them?

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:18am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Littlecakes - Are the cake boxes out in the sales area at Sams, or do you have to go to the bakery and ask for them?

Go to the bakery and ask. My Sam's club makes me place an order because they are always really busy and i guess use up what they order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%