Turtle Shaped Cake..

Decorating By skippy Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm by millermom

skippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skippy Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 7

I have got to make a turtle cake. Not sure how I am going to do it. I thought about using the sports ball pan. Anyone ever made one. Got any pictures. If I could see one it would make it easier.

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 7

Depending on the size you need, you could use a mixing bowl.

Here's the cutest turtle cake I've ever seen: http://charmainepastry.blogspot.com/2007/11/turtlemania.html

skippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skippy Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 7

I don't understand about the mixing bowl. How did she make it with a mixing bowl?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

You could bake it in a mixing bowl. I've done that before, the 2 quart pyrex bowl works well but the bigger one it's a little iffy getting the center done.

I think from the description in the blog that she lined a bowl with buttercream, put the baked cake layers in with more buttercream, and then put the whole thing in the fridge to firm up. Once it was hard, then she could set a cake board on top, flip it over, unmold it and then peel off the plastic wrap, then cover the cake in fondant. I think you would end up with a lot of buttercream on the cake that way.

I wanted to try making that cake for my daughter's birthday because she wanted a turtle cake, but what she really wanted was little fondant turtles on top of a cake, so I didn't get to try it.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 7

i made a turtle cake using a shallow pyrex casserole dish and it worked very well.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 7

Did you do a search for "turtle?" There are TONS of pics right here on CC, and you could PM the person with any questions.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 7

Did you do a search for "turtle?" There are TONS of pics right here on CC, and you could PM the person with any questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%