Topsy Turvy Dowel Problem

Decorating By anricat Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 10:51am by ApplegumKitchen

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 6

I made my first topsy turvy cake today. It's just a little one with two tiers. I got everything set on the bottom tier - I got my dowels cut and I built my top tier on a cardboard cake circle. Then I put the top tier on and all is going well.

Then I get my dowel to go through both layers. I sharpened it to a point with a knife and tried to poke it through. It didn't go through the cardboard! Instead it bent the cardboard down into my bottom tier, totally smooshing and crushing it (despite the dowels in place under it).

So here's where things got really ugly. I thought, well, it's a teeny upper tier, I'll just take the cardboard out. BAD IDEA. The whole thing was smooshing down and caving in the bottom layer. So my husband came home and I got him to cut a little hole in a new cake circle and I took off the top tier and he slid it up underneath.

The fondant is completely cracked on the back side and the cake is totally collapsing, despite me trying to put it back together. It's for a Halloween party tomorrow (see my pictures - it's the Halloween cake there). It's okay if you don't inspect it super closely (or look at the back). What a bummer. I'm sure I'll come downstairs tomorrow and it will have completely caved in overnight. I'm so sad. It's my first irreparable disaster.

Soooooo...how do I get that center dowel to go all the way through all the layers including the cardboard?!?

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 6

I don't use a knife to sharpen the dowel, I use a dedicated electric pencil sharpener. That way I know I have a perfectly pointed sharp tool that goes right through the boards. (I use foamcore and not cardboard).

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:11am
post #3 of 6

and you dont push it in, you hammer it. pushing it is not enough force to get it thru and it bends the cardboard . HYTH

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:44am
post #4 of 6

We do it so much differently here in Australia

I had written it on another thread in the last few days but can't remember exactly where LOL

We have the central dowel glued to the base board and then the bottom tier is ganached on a STD board with a pre-drilled hole.
Then thread (push) the cake over the sharpened dowel.
Roll your fondant and cut small hole out with cutter (this is how you put your fondant on OVER that pole.

Geesh - so HARD to put into words but easy when it is done!!

Will try and re-size pics so that I can attach

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:41am
post #5 of 6

could you fondant the cake and then slide it down the pole?

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:51am
post #6 of 6

You could try icon_biggrin.gif but I can tell you... it is VERY hard to do that without leaving marks or damaging your fondant.

I know its good to look at different options .... ?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%