Regular Buttercream To Chocolate?

Baking By cakefairy03 Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 3:12am by cakefairy03

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 6

I have a large batch of freshly made buttercream icing. The only problem is I forgot that I need some chocolate buttercream too, but I ran out of powdered sugar and don't have time to buy more at the moment. Is there an easy way to make my regular buttercream into chocolate buttercream? Thanks in advance!

5 replies
farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 6

I just made a chocolate buttercream and started with normal bc...to make chocolate I just added Hershey's cocoa powder (both regular and special dark) until I got the color desired. I understand some pp add Hershey liquid chocolate (but this thins down the icing some)...some use melted crushed bar chocolate. Just put your bc frosting back into the mixer bowl - add chocolate of your choice and then blend with mixers. Worked for me. Good luck.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 6

Well the 1st step in making chocolate BC is making regular BC anyway. All you do is add melted (and cooled to room temp) unsweetened chocolate or cocoa powder. If you use cocoa powder, you'll most likely need to add a little milk.

cakefairy03 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much! I do have Hershey's cocoa powder. Yay! Is there a certain amount that I should add? I'm not looking for a certain color, but I would still like it to taste good.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 6

I just added Hershey's cocoa until I got the color I wanted...also tasted it along the way to make sure I didn't add too much (ie, bitter) but the conf. sugar will take a lot before being effected...I'm not aware of set amounts...start adding by the tablespoons/gradually and then you'll know when to stop by color and taste.

cakefairy03 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much farmersdaughter4 and prterrell! I'll be working on it tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%