Ruched Fondant??

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 4:54am by Rylan

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know how to achieve the 'ruched' look from fondant. I'm familiar with the tutorials outlining how to do pleats, but I'm interested in learning how to do ruching similar to the dress seen here: http://www.demetriosbride.com/us/index.php?page=collection_hottest&styleID=2066

TIA!

10 replies
MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #2 of 11

Anybody??

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 11

Why don't you try contacting Buddy Valastro for advice. He does fondant work that sometimes looks like the effect you are going for. Try his website: carlosbakery dot com.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 11

I would roll out fondant about 5-6" wide and maybe 10" or so long; wrap around the cake bunching it up here & there as you go. Make a couple of rows like that to each tier starting from the bottom of the cake working up to the top.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 11

i'm not sure you call that rouching, my dress from my son's wedding had rouching and it looked like a tight swag but anyway i'd do like kakeladi said except to get the wavy look you'll need to put something under it to hold it up until it sets somewhat. like when making fondant bows, you can roll paper towels from the top edge and fuller at the bottom. looks pretty

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 11

if you look at this link it has the effect ithink you are trying to achiveve. PM onceuponacake as i'm sure she can tell you how it's done she was very helpful to me icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1331603.html

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 11

try this link and pm onceuponacake as she was very helpful to me. I think this is what you are trying to achieve

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1331603.html

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 11

Fondant is going to be very heavy. Remember, gravity prevails.

You will be better off using gumpaste, as you can roll it much thinner before folding.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:40am
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone! I did PM onceuponacake. Hopefully she'll receive the message and reply.

Theresa, thanks for the tip on the gumpaste. icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #10 of 11

Looking at the picture of the real dress it looks like the fabric is folded over or double, so I would roll gum paste paper thin and fold it over on itself. I would then attach the open end to the cake so you get the double edge at the bottom of the rouche. I would just pinch and gather to get the draped effect as in the picture. As other people have said, you probably need to prop the gum paste or fondant up with tissues and toothpicks while it dries, to avoid it flopping down and going flat. It's a pretty dress so I am sure it would make a stunning cake.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:54am
post #11 of 11

Nancy, Maria (onceuponacake), aka fairytalecakes is also on Youtube. Message her from there because she is usually on there most of the time.

Other than that, all you really have to do is to push the fondant up, until you get the desired effect. I'm not sure how to explain it, hehe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%