Fondant Or Gumpaste

Decorating By cookiecutters Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 10:53pm by Win

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I am fairly new here and I was wondering what most people use to make decorations and flowers for their cakes? Is fondant or gum paste a better choice? Also, do you make your own or buy the preprepared? Thanks.

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure that one is better than the other ... could be just personal preference, could be that it depends on what it is you're trying to make and how it's going to be used.

I've only used fondant for decors, but they've been pretty simple ... stars on wires, misc other stuff. If I wanted gumpaste flowers on a cake, I'd buy them. The cost of buying them vs. the labor cost of making them turns this into a no-brainer for me. icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 8

Hi, when I make flowers, its always gumpaste. If I'm doing cake with dots then its fondant. But for fondant ribbon, I add a little bit of CMC/Tylose powder to give it a bit of strength. You also can mix 50/50 fondant and gumpaste and use that to make your flowers and other accents. I never make these pastes myself. But in the end it comes down to personal preference like Indydebi mentioned above! icon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 8

i'm a long time baker but strictly a newbie hobbyist at decorating and so i make gumpaste flowers for the enjoyment.
my favorite is making my own gumpaste using nicholas lodge's recipe.
http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 8

If you don't mind my asking, if you buy the ready made gumpaste and fondant, what brand is the best to buy?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 8

I can't help with the question about buying it premade. I use the simple MMF recipe for fondant and N. Lodge's gumpaste recipe.

This is the difference between the two for me:

Fondant is for eating, gumpaste is not. I use gumpaste for flowers and bows. I use fondant for drapes, stripes, dots, etc. If it's on the cake and will be eaten, then I use fondant. If it's part of a topper, then gumpaste.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 8

Gumpaste or fondant with gum tex, tylose or CMC are for things that need to hold their shape. Such as drapes, flowers, bows, figures and so on.

Fondant is for items that don't have to hold their shape, such as the flat accents on the cake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutters

If you don't mind my asking, if you buy the ready made gumpaste and fondant, what brand is the best to buy?

Since you are new at this, Don't hesitate to buy Wilton's premade gumpaste in the bag. It's about $8.99 straight up, but when you use a coupon from Michaels or Hobby Lobby, you can get it for an awesome price. I use it for all my flowers and have no issues with it. Just squeeze the bag prior to buying to make sure you get a fresh batch. If upon opening the top edge is a bit hard, no worries... trim it off and dilute it in warm water for the gum solution you will need as your glue for decorations.

thumbs_up.gif And... bashini is dead on with her advice. Well put.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%