Cost Of Mailing Cookies??!!!!!!

Baking By JGMB Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm by CookieMeister

JGMB Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 9

My SIL in Scranton had a mastectomy Monday, so I made smiley face cookies to cheer her up. There was just one small box of 10 cookies with some Styrofoam "popcorn" for packing. I asked to have them delivered in 1-2 days so they'd be fresh. It cost $26.57!!!!!

But, after having waited in line for 1/2 hour at the Post Office, I figured I didn't want to hassle with it anymore, so I went ahead and paid it.

Just out of curiosity -- is there a cheaper way to get cookies from Chicago to PA just as fast, but at a cheaper price?

8 replies
DsLady614 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 9

You can try those flat rate boxes from the post office. They are nice and sturdy and the cost is slightly less if you can fit what you need in one. I used them to ship cookies from Guam to Florida.

KitchenConvert Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 9

Sending this "Priority" Mail is usually not too bad--the delivery timeframe is not guaranteed, but within close distances (I would say 1/2 the US) I think it gets there within a couple days, and across the country in 3 days. I agree with trying to use the standard boxes...but the cookies get quite bulky once you put in all the necessary packing materials icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 9

definitely the flat rate boxes would have been better pricing for you. But it's not unusual for shipping to cost more than the cookies, espcially if shipping only 10 or 12 cookies.

he_calls_me_angel Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 9

I shipped cookies to my mom a few weeks ago in a flat rate box for 10$

patiese1 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:00am
post #6 of 9

I live in pa and have mailed several boxes of cookies all over the place. I have used the priority mail that arrives in 3 days in most places and I can ship up to 10 lbs for under $10. I wonder if it depends on where you mail them. I agree flat rate boxes are great and you can even arrange for pick up from your house.

JGMB Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:26am
post #7 of 9

Thanks, everyone!! I'll know what to do next time.

On a happy note, my sister-in-law is doing fine after surgery and was thrilled with the cookie surprise icon_razz.gif

mtaccts Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 9

They actually offer several flat rate boxes (4.95 - 13.95) depending on the size and shape you need. I ship from NY to WA all the time - cookies, quick breads, candies, etc and never have had a problem with delays or even broken cookies (from what I'm told). I like to pack the cookies (cutouts especially) in those clear plastic salad type take out containers and fill in the extra space with colorful plastic wrap to keep them from moving around inside the container. Then I put that into a zipper top bag and fill the box with peanuts or bubble wrap. Sometimes I take home leftovers from fancy restaurants just get the container ...does that make me a bad person??? LOL

CookieMeister Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaccts

They actually offer several flat rate boxes (4.95 - 13.95) depending on the size and shape you need. I ship from NY to WA all the time - cookies, quick breads, candies, etc and never have had a problem with delays or even broken cookies (from what I'm told). I like to pack the cookies (cutouts especially) in those clear plastic salad type take out containers and fill in the extra space with colorful plastic wrap to keep them from moving around inside the container. Then I put that into a zipper top bag and fill the box with peanuts or bubble wrap. Sometimes I take home leftovers from fancy restaurants just get the container ...does that make me a bad person??? LOL

That's a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%