Need A New Rolling Pin????

Decorating By mddm13 Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 12:06am by costumeczar

mddm13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mddm13 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 8

I have a 20" Wilton rolling pin. While I like the size and style it is pretty nicked up and now can be seen when I roll fondant. I have no idea what I want to get. I have seen the stainless steel and wooden that I like but not really sure. Can anyone suggest to me what they use?

7 replies
zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 8

You might want to try pvc pipe, it's cheap and you can have it cut to what ever lengt you need.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 8

I think I have the same problem as you - is it the yellow silicone rolling pin? I have nicks as well so I go over the fondant with a fondant smoother after I've rolled it out. I know it's an extra step but it only takes a minute and it does make a difference. Maybe you could try that until you find what you're looking for.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 8

I have a sil-pin that I love. I also have the big white Wilton rolling pin but it's just not as comfortable to work with. Sil-pin comes in that style too...the one I have is the regular shape with the handles and the ball bearings, but I saw one shaped like the wilton pin but made by sil-pin on the Target website.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 8

I'm also a fan of PVC pipe. I usually buy a long 1" thick piece and keep it in the broom closet. When I need a new piece or want a different length, I just go get it out and cut off whatever I need with PVC cutters. MUCH cheaper than the Wilton pin.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 8

I always use a large heavy duty wooden rolling pin with ball-bearing handles icon_biggrin.gif

Like this

http://www.foodutensils.com.au/rolling-heavy-duty-hardwood-with-ball-bearings-p-821.html?osCsid=7be5dc03bf99c927749b9731bced60ee

It is heavy enough to ASSIST with your rolling and long enough that you dont get uneveness from a short barrel- I've tried to convince a friend to get one for a long time now - she went and did a Planet Cake course and got to USE the rolling pin. It was like a MAJOR .. a-ha moment for her!! She rang me to tell me the first thing going in her bin was her Wilton Rolling Pin

hellllooooooooooooooooooo Nicole !!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 8

I like to use my aluminum rolling pin (or is it stainless?). It's so much easier than than the 20" Wilton.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8

I just use a big old wooden rolling pin, good for fondant and whacking things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%