Need A New Rolling Pin????

Decorating By mddm13 Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 12:06am by costumeczar

mddm13 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 8

I have a 20" Wilton rolling pin. While I like the size and style it is pretty nicked up and now can be seen when I roll fondant. I have no idea what I want to get. I have seen the stainless steel and wooden that I like but not really sure. Can anyone suggest to me what they use?

7 replies
zdebssweetsj Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 8

You might want to try pvc pipe, it's cheap and you can have it cut to what ever lengt you need.

cherrycakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 8

I think I have the same problem as you - is it the yellow silicone rolling pin? I have nicks as well so I go over the fondant with a fondant smoother after I've rolled it out. I know it's an extra step but it only takes a minute and it does make a difference. Maybe you could try that until you find what you're looking for.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 8

I have a sil-pin that I love. I also have the big white Wilton rolling pin but it's just not as comfortable to work with. Sil-pin comes in that style too...the one I have is the regular shape with the handles and the ball bearings, but I saw one shaped like the wilton pin but made by sil-pin on the Target website.

ramie7224 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 8

I'm also a fan of PVC pipe. I usually buy a long 1" thick piece and keep it in the broom closet. When I need a new piece or want a different length, I just go get it out and cut off whatever I need with PVC cutters. MUCH cheaper than the Wilton pin.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 8

I always use a large heavy duty wooden rolling pin with ball-bearing handles icon_biggrin.gif

Like this

http://www.foodutensils.com.au/rolling-heavy-duty-hardwood-with-ball-bearings-p-821.html?osCsid=7be5dc03bf99c927749b9731bced60ee

It is heavy enough to ASSIST with your rolling and long enough that you dont get uneveness from a short barrel- I've tried to convince a friend to get one for a long time now - she went and did a Planet Cake course and got to USE the rolling pin. It was like a MAJOR .. a-ha moment for her!! She rang me to tell me the first thing going in her bin was her Wilton Rolling Pin

hellllooooooooooooooooooo Nicole !!!

Rylan Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 8

I like to use my aluminum rolling pin (or is it stainless?). It's so much easier than than the 20" Wilton.

costumeczar Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8

I just use a big old wooden rolling pin, good for fondant and whacking things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%