How To Get This Gift Cake Look

Decorating By pamconn Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm by Renaejrk

pamconn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

How would you cover this cake in fondant to get the top to look like a wrapped gift?

4 replies
msulli10 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 5

I would cover it like any other cake and then flip it over so now the bottom is your top and carefully fold it like gift wrap. You could always do it in sections and cut the sections to look like gift wrap. A bow will hide any flaws.

tx_cupcake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 5

All I can think about after seeing that cake is, how in the world do they ship that cake and the bow not break off? "Please allow up to one week for delivery." icon_surprised.gif

Sorry about that.

I don't have an answer for you. It's a cool technique, though!

pamconn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you. I also thought that since the top looked like it had been wrapped, you could have a seem either on the back, side or corner like a real wrapped gift would.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 5

I would cut a large rectangle long enough to go around the cake, and wide enough to cover the sides and top. I would wrap the fondant around the cake (frozen cake) probably by laying the cake on its side on the fondant?, cutting slits in the fondant where the corners are and the fondant needs to fold over the top. You could try measuring where these cuts would be before you wrap it and actually cut the triangle "folds" ahead of time. Then just lay the fondant on the top where it is supposed to go and voila! (okay, this sounds easier probably than it is, but it sounds good in my head! lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%