Having A Brain Freeze On The Design!

Decorating By kjskid Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm by kjskid

kjskid Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 10

Any help I can receive on this cake will be much appreciated! I'm having a total brain freeze on this one. It's for 75 people, I'm thinking 6", 8", and 10" tiers, nothing very complicated because I don't have a lot of extra time, but something nice, because they are good friends to me.

Here's what she wants:

Ashley is decorating with a fall theme. The main food element will be apples, kind of like The Rocky Mountain ones (note: chocolate covered, caramel covered apples).... Then the design. Her colors are a muted red and green (so close to Christmas) and blue and silver. I don't know if any of those colors fit in with the fall theme. Anyway, the decorative elements could just go with the fall theme. Ashley is an interior designer so feel free to be as creative and "outside of the box" as you would like. My thought is to use it initially as a centerpiece for the apples, until we cut it to serve. So some height would be nice.

So I'm trying to figure out how to get red/green/blue/silver and fall all together in one cohesive design. Design is not my thing, cooking is! Thanks for your help!

9 replies
kakeladi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 10

Oh my! icon_smile.gif I'm not so good at designing either ;( Usually I search the galleries for inspiration then combine ideas from a couple of them.

There are sooooooo many shades of blue. W/o a sample of the color I think I'd forgo using it at all. Or maybe just a touch here & there.

I see flat fondant apples (or piped on) all around the sides. Lots of fall leaves icon_smile.gif
For the silver use some dragees to highlight the leaves &/or the borders?

kjskid Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 10

I'm definitely going to get some color samples -- as you said there's too much variation to try and just wing it. I like the apples and leaves idea. Anyone else have some ideas?

vagostino Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 10

What if you do kind of branches going up the cake, (like the cherry blossoms cake branches) and then put some fall leaves colors in redish, and green, and then on the top you can do two birds in a teal blue (or ask them for a color swatch). You can paint or add some silver dragees or swirly tiny branches coming out of the main branches.

I've seen some very modern looking birds, very simple ones..i think pink cake box has some cakes with them

jones5cm Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 10

I did a wedding cake this past June using the 'apple' theme (not so much of the fall colors though); you're welcome to take a look - it's posted here on CC. It seems to fall right into Ashley's description. If you can't find it by the search engine, I will PM it to you. It may at least provide you with some inspirationicon_smile.gif

tony66 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 10

A slightly different fall idea, could you do a waterfall down the layers on one side/the front to use the blue and silver icon_smile.gif

kjskid Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 10

Ooh, keep 'em coming, the creative ideas are flowing!

vagostino Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 10

Look this is what i'm talking about!:

you can esily incorporate some blue or silver tones

MrCake01 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 10

Hey kjskid,
Heres and idea. Color the 10in tier to look like green grass and put some bushes and start some tree trunks, on the 8in tier you can color sky blue with some sliver clouds and continue and finish the trees. The 6in layer can be covered in a basket weave pattern and on top you can put 8 or 10 fondant red and green apples some that are caramel covers and some that are chocolate covered. This may be rather involved but would look good and incorporate her theme and colors.
Good luck

kjskid Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by vagostino

Look this is what i'm talking about!:

you can esily incorporate some blue or silver tones

Awesome! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%