New Mixer

Decorating By maendings Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm by JuliaG

maendings Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #1 of 10

Not sure what forum for this but my Kitchen aid 6 quart died today in the middle of mixing a double batch of icing!! That thing hasn't worked right since I bought it 3 yrs ago, always sounded like the bearings were grinding, so thank god I had my old standby smaller one (Kitchen Aid) that is 35 yrs old and have never had it fixed. So now my delima- what to buy??? Of course my husband said he would take it apart and fix it this weekend; so what mixers do you think are good and heavy duty and will stand up to bread, and alot of baking? (I don't hold out much hope for Mr. fix it)
I have been reading alot today and so far according to alot of reviews Delonghe and Viking are a no, Cuisinart and Hamilton Beach a maybe and Electrolux is the best but is way to heavy and you can''t move it around. Apparently Kitchen Aid has switched to plastic innards and I read nothing but complaints about the same thing that happened to me.

9 replies
sari66 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 10

Try a cuisanart I just got one to replace my kitchenaid

snarkybaker Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 10

I am a bit of an expert on mixers. We have 4 600 watt professional kitchenaids ( long story) 2 700 watt Cuisinarts, and a 20 qt hobart. - If you can, get the 10 qt obart, and get it used, more than 10 years old if you can find it. That dates back to when all the parts we made and the machines were assembled in the US. Hobart is the same parent company as Kitchen Aid and the newer commercial models are made from Chinese parts. @nd choice if that isn't in your budget would be the 700 watt Cuisinart. I would buy it from Chef's Catalog or Williams Sonoma. It has a 3 yr warranty from Cuisinart, and both have impecable return policies so you can just walk it back or send it back in and they will hand you a new one. Last choice...kitchenaid. The only thing I can say about them is that they are cheap to fix. Everyone of ours needs to be repaired abput once a year. It costs about $120 to replace all the gears.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 10

Is the Cuisinart 7 qt one good? I have two 6 qt Kitchenaids but sometimes they scare me LOL....already had one repaired and I bought another one refurbished and its motor sometimes doesn't sound reliable. So I want to have an idea as to what I'll get next.

I really like the commercial countertop 10 qt ones but at $2000 they are out of my budget!

Mike1394 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 10

Never a problem with my Viking except when I put to much BF in it.

DDiva Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 10

I'm a Cusinart fan as well. I also own a Bosch 7 qt mixer and love it!! Check out Pleasant Hill Grain for great prices and service.

DDiva Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 10

I'm a Cuisinart and Bosch fan. Love them both!! I'm done with KA.

paulstonia Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 10

I love my hamilton beach. It has all metal parts, more horse power than the comparable kitchen aid, and was a lot cheaper.

Loucinda Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 10

Check out bed bath and beyond for the cuisinart mixer, you can use the 20% off coupon to purchase there.

JuliaG Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 10

Iunderstand that KA got so many complaints & returns on their mixers because they tried to cut back on production costs by using a plastic gearbox cover & not the metal, thus causeing overheating and units to fail. I am looking to purchase a new mixer, and looking a lot of vendors. I sent KA an e-mail and asked them if they have stopped cutting back on inferior parts and went back to the old way they used to manufacture quality mixers by using quality parts and a metal cover for their gearboxes. I have read from other blogs that KA actually did stop using plastic and went back w/metal. If you go to their site, they certainly say that it is an ALL METAL HOUSING. But I still sent them an e-mail to let them know about what I am reading and get their response. If you all would like, I will be more than happy to share their comments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%