What Brand Of Knife Should I Look For?

Decorating By jillangel Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm by jillangel

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:11am
post #1 of 6

Hi. I was watching Sharon Sugarshack's Flawless Fondant DVD and she is trimming the cake and recommends getting a nice expensive sharp knife (went through like butter). Obviously a great idea but I get overwhelmed with all the options out there. I've always heard of Henckels brand but what am I looking for? A paring knife, cutting, kitchen? Looks about 6 inches long. What makes a knife good besides being sharp? I cut hair for a living and know our shears are made special and different types of blades etc but I'm lost when it comes to knives. I don't mind spending a good bit of money I realize you get what you pay for and this is a great investment I just have no idea where to start looking! Are there any great brands besides Henckels? Are Farberware and Kitchen aid knives decent or do I need professional cutlery? Please help! Thanks in advance!
Jill

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #2 of 6

I always say that you'll never regret buying great tools.

I personally love Henckels knives. Recently, DH bought me a couple of Wusthoff and they are also very good.

Good knives are forged, not molded. They have a full tang with rivets. They take *and hold* an edge.

You're looking for a utility knife or short Chef's knife

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 6

I have Wustoff chef's knives. They are the BEST.

jillangel Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both. I will check out those brands and Leah thanks for all the info it was very helpful now I know what to look for!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 6

I asked Sharon what knife she used in those videos. She said it was a Henckels boning knife. She didn't specify how long it was, but in the video she mentioned it should be longer than your tiers are tall.

jillangel Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you grandmom. I was going to pm her but figured I'd see what everyone likes and get some education on knives in general but I am glad I know exactly what she is using now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%