How Do I Frost A Cake W/out Crumbs?

Decorating By western_belle Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm by TexasSugar

western_belle Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 12

For some reason ALL my cakes are crumby ANY TIPS please

11 replies
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 12

are you crumb coating first? Meaning, basically, are you icing it twice?

western_belle Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 12

No HMM I will try that so I basically just ice it twice THanks

patiese1 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 12

you also have to be careful when you icing that you go in the same direction. This also help keeps the crumbs down!

western_belle Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much ladies I am teaching myself and ur so helpful

CakeJediChic Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 12

Also, DONT lift your icing spatula! It may pull the stuff underneath up.

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #7 of 12

Sounds like that's what you need! thumbs_up.gif

I didn't go into a lot of detail before finding out how you were doing it. A crumb coat is a thin layer of base icing, like a primer coat of paint on a wall. It doesn't matter if this layer looks all crummy (crumby?) or not. Some use a thinner icing for the crumb coat. Then let it set (if you're using a crusting BC, let it crust up). It's also a good idea to let the cake set and settle awhile.

As mentioned above, the spatula should only touch the icing, not the cake. If the icing is pulling the cake up as you ice it, then your icing is too thick.

Once the icing crusts, and after it settles, apply the final coat of icing. Tonedna has a good video that shows how to do this and she talkes about not disturbing the crumb coat ... just smooth the top layer of icing over the crumb coat. (anyone have a link to edna's video?)

madgeowens Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #8 of 12

Rylan Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #9 of 12

Other than what Madge posted, there are also tutorial videos in my signature on how to crumbcoat.

CarolAnn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 12

If the side of the cake is crumbly, as in the browned part is broken and shedding, I hold the cake over my sink or counter and lightly brush them off so they don't pull off too much when I crumb coat. I apply a crumb coat that's thinner than Edna's and more of a spackle I guess. It's just enough to glue the crumbs to the cake and fill in any holes, cracks or irregularities between the layers. You can fix a multitude of flaws with your crumb coat. Makes icing a breeze when you know those crumbs aren't going anywhere, like to the surface. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the lady who wrote The Well Decorated Cake (loveher work and have the book) but she even makes a spackle using cake crumbs blended with icing to crumb coat.

madgeowens Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #11 of 12

Chocolate cake , if I try and hurry and skip crumb coat...........ahhhhhhhhhhhh I always say to myself.....why did you do that hahaha.......makes life so much easier....those pesky chocolate crumbs

TexasSugar Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 12

I also like the cake icer tip. I find that it puts a nice even coat of icing on and my spatula never comes close to touching the cake. icon_smile.gif I still crumb coat first though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%