Having Internal Creative Differences :/

Decorating By xkfayex Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 4:41am by xkfayex

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 11

so my father's 50th birthday is coming up. i am planning a surprise birthday party for him on the 14th of november and i've thought of a million cakes to do that he would just die (hopefully not literally) over.
my issue is... i work the thursday and friday before his party and i also have an order that is to be picked up on the 13th for a baby shower.

so i've narrowed it down to 3 different cakes and would like everyones opinion on which would be funny, special and not too hard to pull off in such a short period of time.

1. an acoustic guitar... i've never done one but would like to know how difficult it is and some pointers on how to carve it and what size cake to start with??
2. a nascar cake.
or
3. an old as dirt cake.. i thought of doing a cake that is filled with chocolate mousse (sp) and having oreos crumbled on top. but thought that might be too simple.

my dad loves each and every one of my cakes.. he's truly my biggest fan, so i want this to be extra special funny and heart felt..
any help would be great. TIA

10 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 11

I think the old as dirt cake would be the easiest and most fun, and also the most popular tasting!

You could add anything to that....grass, flowers, bugs, spiders, anything! I think the other two cakes are pretty detailed so if I were in your position I'd probably do the funny easy one. But its up to you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 11

I don't know I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy--I never like it when my kids tease me about my age--I'm supposed to be older--I don't know.

My sister and I have sent each other so many ruthlessly snide birthday cards over the years--one time she took a bunch of old cards I sent her--crossed out my signature and she signed them and sent them to me in a big manilla envelope--- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She's a riot.

We love White Castle sliders--nostalgiac favorite--but she can't get 'em where she lives so I send her coupons for them icon_biggrin.gif (just to be mean--work with me, people!!! lol )

But still yet I don't favor this approach from my kids. But that's just me.

I vote for the acoustic guitar because I think it's easier than the car by far.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #4 of 11

K8memphis, I love that idea of sending your sister coupons that she can't use. Both my sisters live in the same town as me so that won't work for me, but i have to think of something along that line. I just love it! That makes me laugh!

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #5 of 11

Still laughing!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #6 of 11

It was diabolical if I do say so myself bwuwahahaha.

icon_biggrin.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 10:45am
post #7 of 11

I would say the Guitar cake would be easier than a Nascar. but that is because i know how to make a guitar icon_lol.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 11

My vote is also for the guitar. I've never made one, either, but I think it would be much easier to carve. I'm with K8memphis, I don't really like the age-teasing either. But, you know your dad better than any of us, so maybe it would be something he would enjoy. icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 11

I have two guitar cakes in my photos. The acoustic was easier, but maybe because it was the second one. I used two 11X15 layers and carved them. The carving was easy (1000X easier than a car would be). Cover in fondant, neck made of gumpaste, fondant accents and piped lines with #3 tip. Take a look if you want. It wasn't too hard. You can bake ahead and freeze. That will save you some time there.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 11

I agree with some of the people, I wouldn't want to be teased on my birthday--but again, you know your dad better.

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:41am
post #11 of 11

haha thanks all. my dad is a jokester.. he's always making fun of me cause ppl think i'm 12. so he takes me into restaurants and tells them i need a kids menu. so calling him old as dirt isnt going to bother him.

but i'll take a few more days to think about it. and hopefully get a better plan for next week..

thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%