Stenciling Tips

Decorating By lecrn Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 10:43am by luddroth

lecrn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 12

I just love the look of stenciling on cakes esp the demask look!:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1449686.html

I've been afraid to try it b/c I know I'll make a big mess of it. Do any of you stenciling experts have any helpful tips? I make most of my cakes in buttercream, so I'm sure it may be helpful to chill the cake before applying the stencil. What is the easiest medium to use for the stencil: BC, RI, piping gel (as seen in Jamie's great cake above)? Do you use a stencil brush or a plastic scrapper? Is there a way to make a neat side stencil without an extra pair of hands? Can you use a stencil from the craft store instead of buying the expensive ones for cake?
Thx!

11 replies
cheesecakes-galore Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 12

I've read were a lot use RI to do the stenciling. Have you tried to do a search on the forums? I know I have run across a lot of info just browsing on here. I still have yet to try stenciling myself, so I am interested in what others will suggest.

purplebutterfly1234 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 12

Great questions!

lecrn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecakes galore

I've read were a lot use RI to do the stenciling. Have you tried to do a search on the forums? I know I have run across a lot of info just browsing on here. I still have yet to try stenciling myself, so I am interested in what others will suggest.

Yes, I have been looking. I've also watched the short videos offered by Designer Stencils.

leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:11am
post #5 of 12

Frankly, I've given up on stenciling. Looked promising, but I could not consistently get it to work. I do a LOT of Damask cakes and I use various cutters.

MBoyd Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 12

I recently did a stenciled cake - (in my photos)

I used RI, over fondant, rather than BC. It helped to practice on parchment first.
One of the tricks is not to use too much icing. I actually "rough piped" icing over the stencil before smoothing it with an offset spatula. Your icing should be fairly stiff too - too soft, and it'll be a mess, but you don't want it too stiff either. I let the icing harden before doing the next repeat.

HTH!

lecrn Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoyd

I recently did a stenciled cake - (in my photos)

I used RI, over fondant, rather than BC. It helped to practice on parchment first.
One of the tricks is not to use too much icing. I actually "rough piped" icing over the stencil before smoothing it with an offset spatula. Your icing should be fairly stiff too - too soft, and it'll be a mess, but you don't want it too stiff either. I let the icing harden before doing the next repeat.

HTH!

Wow, your cake is so beautiful!!! Did you tape the stencil to the fondant before applying the RI? I think that will be my biggest problem since I work with bc most of the time.
I bought a damask stencil from JoAnn. I couldn't justify spending the $ for a designer stencil yet. I've practiced with Wilton ready made black icing on parchment. It worked pretty good. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it on a cake. I know it will be more difficult to do the stencil on the sides of the cake.

cookiemookie Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 12

I haven't done a cake yet, I do cookies.

The culinary stencils are much better quality and not flimsy, which I think is VERY important in getting good results. They also give you more room around your design which is vital. They as hold up much better for repeated use. I've done hundreds with my stencils and they are like brand new.

Shelly4481 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 12

I have done bc a few times, haven't noticed much difference between ri and bc. Putting it on bc frosting I put cake in fridge for a hour or so to sorta harden up the frosting. Then take out and stencil. It really is pretty easy to do. I don't tape it on fondant either, just start on one end and work over to the other side.

luddroth Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 12

I'm with the OP on this one -- it still scares me. I tried it on fondant-covered cookies with royal icing and made a huge mess of it. Icing smeared under the stencil (expensive culinary type) and left peaks and smears as I tried to lift the stencil off. Tried it with gel food colors and a dabbing brush and it was even worse. I clearly have not gotten the hang of it....

Shelly4481 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 12

luddroth, is sounds like your ri was to runny. I make mine kinda thick but still spreads easy. After I put it on the stencil, I run my small spatula over the whole thing to take off any extra and make it all the same height(thickness).

luddroth Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:43am
post #12 of 12

Thanks, Shelly -- I figured as much, but haven't tried it again. I'll give it another go. The stencil designs are so gorgeous, it has to be worth the effort to get it right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%