Fresh Flowers On Cake???

Decorating By awestervelt Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 1:06am by indydebi

awestervelt Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 6

I am doing a cake for a co-worker who is retiring from 35+ years at our hospital. My question is I want to put fresh flowers on the cake but have never done that before. I bought some Roses as well as some gorgeous sunflowers. Do you guys have any tricks or tips that you could tell me? I'm baking right now and the cake has to be done by 4:00 tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

5 replies
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 6

My recommendation is never penetrate the cake with the stem. What I do is cut the stem off very very close to the head, then I use BC on the back of the flower head to 'glue' it in place on the sides of the cake. for a top tier, I just lay the roses on top. I sometimes make a mound of icing on top and insert the rose heads on that, to give it height.

You can also pull the petals and scatter them on the cake.

awestervelt Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 6

That's a great idea and simple. I would have never come up with that. How long do the flowers stay fresh like that? I don't plan on putting them on the cake till tomorrow but I don't want them to start to wilt before the party.

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 6

I place flowers when I deliver (and set up) the cake. Roses will last much longer than you think. I had one that had roses on it plus stemmed roses on the table around the cake. Outside. 90 degree heat. For over five hours. Roses held up as well as my icing! thumbs_up.gif

MJoycake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6

If you put the flowers in a mound of buttercream icing, a freshly cut stem will absorb the moisture out of the buttercream for a while, which helps them to stay fresh.

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:06am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

If you put the flowers in a mound of buttercream icing, a freshly cut stem will absorb the moisture out of the buttercream for a while, which helps them to stay fresh.

ohhhhhhh! Is THAT the trick!? So many things that I've no idea WHY they work, only that they do. Slowly, in baby steps, you guys are educating me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%