Camo Cake (Buttercream) - How Do I?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm by jammjenks

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 6

I was going to do a plain cake for my dh's birthday, but decided to do a "camo" cake for him (since he is a big hunter & it's hunting season). How do I get the camo effect using buttercream? I've seen a lot of nice bc camo cakes on here.

Thank you!

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 6

Mix up about four colors or so. I use brown, black, light green, and dark green. Using round tips, pipe an irregular blob with one color. Then, with another color, make another irregular blob that joins the first. Once you have a fairly large area done, use the Melvira method (paint roller) and smooth the whole thing out.

At least that's how I do it. thumbs_up.gif

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 6

That's basically how I did it too, but I used the Viva method to smooth it out icon_smile.gif

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 6

I did the same as previous poster, except I put down all of one color very randomly & then moved to the next color. I smoothed with the roller. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I will try it out!! Hopefully I will be able to do it - I'm not that great with buttercream!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Thanks! I will try it out!! Hopefully I will be able to do it - I'm not that great with buttercream!

Camo is very forgiving. No exact lines, no exact colors, etc. It'll look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%