Software

Decorating By LaTasha Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 3:45am by kelleym

LaTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaTasha Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 10

Hello CC Family

I was wondering if anyone has ever used that software cake boss? I would like to know how good it is. I mean I see the website has great reviews but I would rather hear it from one of my CC Famil members

Thanks

9 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 10

Let's see this is post #4 or 5 on this subject in a 2 day period...do a search for cake boss software under forum posts and you will see probably hundreds of topics asking just the same question you did.

but my 2 cents worth...

It is amazing, and is about to be even more amazing when the new version is released soon. I dont know how I managed without it.

LOVE IT!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 10

Hmm, do you know when the new version is coming out? I bought it and thought it was cool, but I had to return it because I just didn't have time to figure out the cost of ingredients per recipe. If the new version does that I will be all over it.

Right now you have to figure out how much 1/4 cup of sugar cost you or whatever the measurement is per recipe, oh my gosh that was overwhelming for me.

I'm hoping that with a new version you can just put into a main frame your grocery cost, $2.50 for a bag of sugar, $1.75 for a gallon of milk and then when you are putting in your specific recipes it will automaticly calculate how much 1/4 c of sugar cost you. Otherwise every time the price of eggs or something went up I would have to go into every single recipe calculate and change the cost of that particular ingredient! Hope that makes sense.

I thought it was outstang software though and I would love to have it with those changes.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Otherwise every time the price of eggs or something went up I would have to go into every single recipe calculate and change the cost of that particular ingredient! Hope that makes sense.

This is not entirely correct. If anyone has questions about the way CakeBoss handles ingredients and recipes, I welcome you to watch the short How-To Video on our web site called "How to create a master ingredient list and add a recipe". thumbs_up.gif

There will be an announcement coming soon about the new version! It contains many improvements and features. Some improvements are specifically about this particular process.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:

Hmm, do you know when the new version is coming out? I bought it and thought it was cool, but I had to return it because I just didn't have time to figure out the cost of ingredients per recipe. If the new version does that I will be all over it.

Right now you have to figure out how much 1/4 cup of sugar cost you or whatever the measurement is per recipe, oh my gosh that was overwhelming for me.

I'm hoping that with a new version you can just put into a main frame your grocery cost, $2.50 for a bag of sugar, $1.75 for a gallon of milk and then when you are putting in your specific recipes it will automaticly calculate how much 1/4 c of sugar cost you. Otherwise every time the price of eggs or something went up I would have to go into every single recipe calculate and change the cost of that particular ingredient! Hope that makes sense.

I thought it was outstang software though and I would love to have it with those changes.

So in otherwords...you were too swamped with other stuff to read all the documentation pertaining to the use of the software so instead of scheduling yourself some time to fully familiarize yourself with the ins & outs of this amazing program you opted to get your money back.

Kelley M you are a SAINT! If a person like this wanted their money back because of no other reason than they didn't understand how to use it, I would have told them to read the online manual and watch the online videos demonstrating how to do every aspect of this program then go jump in a lake! I mean come on people, this isn't ROCKET SCIENCE!

Sorry I'm in biotch mode this week, have no patience with people in general right now... Must be the alignment of the planets, I am usually not this irritated by things this trivial.

andpotts Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:

So in otherwords...you were too swamped with other stuff to read all the documentation pertaining to the use of the software so instead of scheduling yourself some time to fully familiarize yourself with the ins & outs of this amazing program you opted to get your money back.

Kelley M you are a SAINT! If a person like this wanted their money back because of no other reason than they didn't understand how to use it, I would have told them to read the online manual and watch the online videos demonstrating how to do every aspect of this program then go jump in a lake! I mean come on people, this isn't ROCKET SCIENCE!

Sorry I'm in biotch mode this week, have no patience with people in general right now... Must be the alignment of the planets, I am usually not this irritated by things this trivial.

Wow, I didn't say anything mean or negative about Kelley or her program, in fact I said it was outstanding software, but these are the reason it was not right for me, a hobby baker. The OP asked for peoples opinions and I was just giving mine, which is one of the reasons CC is so great.

Before I bought Cake Boss I read many, many people's opinions, quite a few said it wasn't right for them, but BECAUSE they offered a full money back guarantee I made my decision to try it out for myself.

I guess I'm just a complete moron, since I couldn't figure it out! Actually I did read the online manual and watched the tutorials and guess what it still wasn't a right fit for me at that time, if this were a business for me then I'm sure I would have worked with Kelley and the program to get it up and running for me. And since you felt the need to attack me I'm gonna let you know the ONLY negative experience I've had that has anything to do with Cake Boss is your post. Give me a break!

You know what else, I'm having a bad week too, being deployed and away from my family and home will do that to you, glad I'm defending people's right to free speech!

To the OP I'm sorry you asked a simple question and by trying to answer I guess I was out of line. Andrea

edited to add-- I have never ever been anything but nice and tried to be helpful when I could in my time here. I have also never had someone be so incredibly rude & just downright mean, it has really hurt my feelings & I hope I can just forget about your nastyness & get back to the CC I love and appreciate so much>

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 10

I personally have only used cakeboss to figure out cost of my product. I am launching my buisness next year so I had not fully looked at all aspects of this program. But just the little I have done was well worth the money. I look forward to the new version, just because I just now will start using the product more fully as a business person. I haven't fully understood the invoice thing yet, but look forward to learning.

Now the issue with receipe cost. I did find it a little work to figure out how many cups my flour bag held, to put into receipe 1 cup= .10, but it really isn't that hard if you just pull out the scale measure out 1 pound = so many cups. 25 lb cost me somuch per pound, and divid it out. It is well worth it to take the time. The program can not be expected to do all that, people buy in so many different quanities. You may have been making it harder than it really is.

I was making cakes for friends for cost, problem was I wasn't charging the cost and was paying for part of these cakes. I don't do that now. Still working on qetting faster so I can make more money. I have figured what prices around me are so now I need to work faster to make more money.

kelleym Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 10

andpotts - the new version of CakeBoss will have weight to volume conversions for most common baking ingredients, so yes: you will be able to enter a 10 lb bag of sugar, and CakeBoss will break down the cost into cups, ounces, tablespoons, teaspoons, and grams. Keep your eyes peeled on CakeCentral for an announcement in the next few weeks!

LaTasha, here are some other threads with more discussion of CakeBoss:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596690.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586500.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=330753&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cakeboss&&start=0

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-3563723.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=70841&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cakeboss&&start=0

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-3494683-cakeboss.html#3494683

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-boss-ftopicp-5863191.html

andpotts Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

andpotts - the new version of will have weight to volume conversions for most common baking ingredients, so yes: you will be able to enter a 10 lb bag of sugar, and will break down the cost into cups, ounces, tablespoons, teaspoons, and grams. Keep your eyes peeled on CakeCentral for an announcement in the next few weeks!

Thank you Kelley! I really did like the program and all of the cool stuff it offers, even as a hobby baker it would be extremely useful to me. I am very excited about the new version and promise you that with that change there is no doubt I will be buying it. It is an excellent program and your customer care and service is impeccable! Andrea

kelleym Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #10 of 10

I wanted to everyone who posted to this thread know that the 2010 version of CakeBoss is LIVE and includes the ingredient converters I had previously alluded to. Now you just enter the size package, and what price you pay, and CakeBoss figures out the rest!

The link I posted upthread is for the old videos, it no longer applies to the new version. Go to cakeboss.com and click on 'What's new for 2010', check out the screenshots and new videos. We are confident that you will love it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%