Using The Silcone Molds

Decorating By Jackie_PatriotsFan Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm by tonedna

Jackie_PatriotsFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie_PatriotsFan Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to cakes and am confused when I look on the various cake decorating supply sites regarding the molds. Some are more expensive than others. Does the fondant or gum paste come out of these molds easily? What should I be looking for in a good mold?

Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Jackie

5 replies
ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 6

Oh most definately - MOULDS aint MOULDS

and SILCONE is not all SILCONE - good and bad out there!

For the record - I think my preference in moulds (based on what I have used) would be

1. FIRST IMPRESSIONS www.firstimpressionmolds.com - blue and VERY easy to use - don't dust mold or grease - just pop into fridge and leave for a bit - pops out every time - GREAT detail

2. FPC sugarcraft - www.fpcsc.co.uk WHITE and also very easy to use

3. For price, I would also suggest looking at the Sculpy moulds - used for polymer clay - I spray with oil before pressing in paste - they most often have a number of different cavities on the one mould.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 6

I suggest you check out silicone molds because they are flexible. They are easy to work with if done right, I was taught to get a ball of gumpaste and lightly dust it with cornstarch and then insert it to the molds. It's really easy.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

Oh most definately - MOULDS aint MOULDS

and SILCONE is not all SILCONE - good and bad out there!

For the record - I think my preference in moulds (based on what I have used) would be

1. FIRST IMPRESSIONS www.firstimpressionsmolds.com - blue and VERY easy to use - don't dust mold or grease - just pop into fridge and leave for a bit - pops out every time - GREAT detail

2. FPC - www.fpcsc.co.uk WHITE and also very easy to use

3. For price, I would also suggest looking at the Sculpy moulds - used for polymer clay - I spray with oil before pressing in paste - they most often have a number of different cavities on the one mould.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 6

If the silicone mold is really cheap then my concern would be that it isn't food safe, (think clay molds.) The food safe silicone is more expensive then the non food safe stuff.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 6

Silicone molds are the best, but like everything it really depends in what you are using them for. If its
just to do veins on a leaf, even the hard ones are ok. It really depends from company to company.
Some veiners in some companies dont leave a good impressions. If you are molding something with really
deep grooves, you want something flexible.

Gumpaste always works well and usually doesnt need much help to get it out of the mold.
If it has really deep holes, you can freeze it and get it out when is cold. Then let it dry, cause it
will sweat.

In lots of them you can use chocolate to mold, and some of them can be used with sugar. Just make sure
before you try it..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%