Sinking Cake?

Decorating By ksmith1012 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm by ksmith1012

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 5

Ok. I've made 6 cakes today (and one previously) using this recipe, and all of the cakes have sunk in the middle. I let my oven preheat for 30 min, I havent opened my oven door before the minimum baking time, etc. I am wondering if it is the recipe. Here it is:

1 box mix
1 box pudding
1 c sour cream
1/2 c water
3 eggs
1 tbs flavoring
1 c sugar

Is it the sugar? Helpful hints would be appreciated, as I am still a beginner baker. I am doing a stacked cake for this weekend and was needing a dense cake, and this recipe tastes good. But it always sinks? This isnt a cake threatening emergency, I just would like to know what I need to change in the future. TIA =)

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

That looks pretty similar to the WASC recipe that is so popular around here (thank you Kakeladi! icon_biggrin.gif ) except that it doesn't look like enough water, and the WASC recipe has flour added to it too. It's in the recipe section here, give it a try sometime.

Do you use a flower nail in the middle of your cake while you're baking? I've found that it helps a lot when baking anything more dense than a cake mix cake.

ksmith1012 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! =) I will definitely try that recipe next time. Yep I used the flower nail, thanks to all the ccer's who recommended that one!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 5

that is the recipe I use exactlly but it's missing 1 c. of flour!!

ksmith1012 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

I am sure the flour would help. lol thanks =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%