Cake Website

Decorating By ambernd Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm by Ayanami

ambernd Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 10

What did you use to make your cake website? I am looking for something easy to make mine with. Thanks!

9 replies
tatorchip Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 10

ambernd, you could try to pm Rylan HTH

Rylan Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 10

Hi Amber and Deborah. I used Wordpress. Gisele Jacquenod design my website--she's really helpful and affordable.

KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 10

I used freewebs, which I believe is now webs.com...........it serves the purpose...I designed it all myself in a matter of minutes and then spent about an hr. uploading photos! Quick and easy. I wound up paying $4.95 a month to get extra space (only because I had hundreds of photos and didn't feel like going back and resizing them, I left the files huge) I was getting close to being over the limit for a free site. However w/ the 4.95 a month now there are no ads, which really didn't bother me before anyhow. But now I have unlimited space on top of that. Pretty cool, let's you check your site stats and see who's looked at your site and what pages they viewed so you can tell which cakes people are liking more and that. I've been happy with it. Their tech support is always really quick to get back to you too!

cakesdivine Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 10

I use Yahoo. It is better to be able to do your own site that way you can update as needed FREE. If you use a webdesigner it will cost you mega bucks in the longrun. A webdesigner will generally charge $35 to $150 per hour for updates and changes and usually 1 hr charge is the minimum. I got totally hosed by 2 different webdesigners...the worst one would make changes to my site without my consent. He even added photos to my site without my knowledge that were other peoples photos, not mine. When I was contacted by one of the owners of a cake I was shocked because I hadn't actually looked at my site in a while, Luckily it had only been up with those changes for a couple of days, and I fired the guy immediately. He told me that he liked the way those photos looked (all professionally done for magazines of course) and my photos were too snap shot looking, I told him I didn't care he was given my photos to use and he did NOT have permission to change my site nor use copyrighted photos from other sites! I then switched to Yahoo using Yahoo Sitebuilder. To this day I feel mortified that at some point I was one of those guilty parties that used others photos, eventhough I had no knowledge of it being done, it still bothers me.

cattycornercakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 10

I used Homestead for my website. I've been using it for about 10 years and the software is fairly easy to use.

tx_cupcake Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 10

Wordpress is great. It's super easy to use, and if you don't want to pay a designer, there are TONS of cute templates you can download for free.

ambernd Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Looks like I have a little research to do icon_biggrin.gif

PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 10

I wanted to have more control over the look of my website without spending lots of money for a web designer (at least just yet since I'm just in the planning stages of my business launch). I used Microsoft FrontPage to design my own website and had my friend (who owns her own advertising firm) design my logo. I just use my internet provider as my website host (I pay $10 per month but I like the ease of it being on my cable/internet bill). To use FrontPage you need to have a good working knowledge of programs like Word or Excel since the commands are similar.

Ayanami Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 10

I used Webs.com too. I haven't had to upgrade to a monthly pay ... yet! icon_wink.gif I like it ... it's easy to use & looks nice & clean. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%