Marshmallow Filling - Is There Such A Thing??

Baking By Peridot Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 1:08am by Peridot

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 12

I would like to use a marshmallow filling for a chocolate cake that I am going to do. I would like to know if any CCer's use or have a recipe for marshmallow filling that they have tried, used and liked and would be willing to share.

In the past I tried using the marshmallow creme in the jar and that is just too difficult to spread even if you warm it in the microwave.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

11 replies
Peridot Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 12

Bump! Someone out there must have a recipe for this or know something about it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 12

I have this recipe saved from somewhere:

Marshmallow Frosting
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
6 large marshmallows
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Boil sugar and water without stirring until syrup spins a thread; melt marshmallows in syrup; pour
slowly over stiffly beaten egg whites, beating constantly. Add flavoring and spread very thickly

I haven't tried it though.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 12

Dorie Greenspan has one that I have used and everyone really liked. I don't have the recipe handy, but I'm sure it will come up if you google "Dorie Greenspan chocolate cake recipe".

Peridot Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you very much. I have been googling and there are so many that you just don't know what is good and what is not.

Texas-Rose thanks for the recipe and Fullhouse I will look for the Dorie Greenspan one and give it a try.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 12

Happy to help. Enjoy!

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 12

I use the Smuckers marshmallow ice cream topping. It is perfectly pourable and very easy to spread! Plus it tastes amazing! I've had 2 orders this month for that filling. HTH!

Peridot Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 12

cakefairy,

Never ever thought of that product. What a great idea!! Thanks for the suggestion and knowing that you used it and people liked it helps a lot.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 12

You're welcome! I didn't really think of it either, but my family loves ice cream and we're always checking out different toppings. And now that I make cakes, I always think "Can this go on/in a cake?" And sure enough, the marshmallow can, and it's so delicious and easy too! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 12

I mix 8 oz. of flavored cream cheese (like raspberry) with a jar of marshmallow cream and it's fabulous. It spreads easily and people love it.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 12

I melt mini-marshmallows sprinkled in water briefly in the microwavve (about 30 second intervals) until melted. Let cool for a few minutes and then beat into my already made buttercream. Its' easy to work with and has just enough marshmallow flavor. I use it on the s'mores cuppies in my photos.

Peridot Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:08am
post #12 of 12

WOW! More ideas than I could have hoped for. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR GREAT IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%