What Molds Work For Poured Sugar?

Sugar Work By Renaejrk Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm by Renaejrk

Renaejrk Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a sweet 16 cake for/with a girl who has been my "cake assistant" lol (unpaid), and we want to try some different techniques and make it really special. She would really like some candy "jewels" and I already have some isomalt here. I have been reading about how to use it and cook it, but I wasn't sure about the molds. I had purchased a plastic one from my cake supply shop and she said it would work, but now I have my doubts if it can handle the heat? Do I need to order a different one?

6 replies
Renaejrk Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 7

I hope someone who knows can help - if I can't use the one I have I have to order one, which could take a while to get to me and the party is the 13th! yikes!

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 7

The opaque white plastic molds are for hard candy and will work---keep the isomalt below 350 degrees.

Clear plastic chocolate or candy molds won't work for hot isomalt or sugar.

You can buy silicone molds, too. First Impression Molds carries several jewel molds.

Renaejrk Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you - that's what I was afraid of. I have the clear plastic meant for chocolate. Country Kitchen has a set of them too. I'll check First Impressions out - how quickly do they ship?

BlakesCakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #5 of 7

I haven't ordered from First Impression--only bought from them in person.

I checked and globalsugart has the silicone molds, several styles, in stock.

You can find cheaper opaque ones for hard candy at

country kitchen s a . com (eliminate the spaces)

adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 7

The white plastic molds not clear plastic molds work for making (hot) hard candy. I use them to make suckers.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 7

I'll probably go with the cheaper country kitchens ones - I can get 6 for 10 bucks plus shipping! I know silicone is better, but it's not in my budget-especially for a free cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%