Out Of Sour Cream What Can I Sub? !!!!! Help

Baking By TOMAY Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 12:09am by KitchenKat

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 8

Have Toba Garets groom cake chocolate recipe , I do not have sour cream it calls for 1 1/3 cup can I sub cream cheese. whipping cream or something else?
Thanks
T

7 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 8

I dont know that recipe but usually yogurt either plain or vanilla can be subbed. I use it in pace of the sour cream in WASC and also my banana bread recipe.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 8

yogurt will work in the WASC cakes

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 8

did not have any yogurt either I went with a mix of cream cheese and whipping cream .... we will see thanks for the help guys

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 8

might want to add a dash of lemon juice to that cream cheese/cream mixture...just to give it that "tang" that sour cream and yogurt both add

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

might want to add a dash of lemon juice to that cream cheese/cream mixture...just to give it that "tang" that sour cream and yogurt both add

i was gonna say the same thing thumbs_up.gif

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 8

I don't know if this is right or if it even works, but the chocolate cake recipe I use says to use either mayonnaise or sour cream. I always use sour cream, but I guess if I had to se mayo.....I dont know, just an idea!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:09am
post #8 of 8

In a pinch I've soured my own cream by taking 1 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar and topping up with enough heavy cream to make 1 cup. Worked well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%