Grrrr...frustration!! Fondant Accents

Decorating By sherrycanary62 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm by MJoycake

sherrycanary62 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 6

:::icon_biggrin.gifeep Breath::: icon_biggrin.gif

I am trying to finish up a teapot cake....I am having trouble with the handle.

First I made out of mmf never set I redid with fondant adding gumtex and powdered sugar to stiffen the fondant....nope a no go this would not set up either

Then I redid with all did stiffen but when I went to attach to cake it broke....grrrrr icon_cry.gif

I have tried in the past a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mix but have not had any luck with this was very crumbly and dry...Is that because I use mmf instead of commercial fondant?

So now I have an even stiffer fondant setting up on the cake but it is propped up with a halved papertowel roll wrapped in wax paper and I am not sure that this is going to set up.

Its not like this cake has a due date this is just technique and design practice. But I would like to make another for a friends bday on Monday...tho I do have a back up cake plan for her.

Have I missed anything....any other tips or tricks that you can suggest?

Thank You
Sherry thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Malakin Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 6

I quit mixing stuff with MMF cause it seemed to always stay soft. Some people use pastillage for that type of work. I use 50/50 or just gumpaste.

HamSquad Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 6

I have found that using MMF does not work well at all for fondant pieces. I typically use Wilton fondant with gumtex to get it to dry well. I have had to use RI on the fondant baby cribs, picture frames for this very reason, the MMF would not set firm at all. I thought it was the weather. Repeat the crib for another cake, there was no humidity, same thing. Oh yeah a great tip came from the wonderful people here(The Mighty CCers) let your pieces dry in a turned off oven with the light on. HTH

ASimpleBaker Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

I have mixed tylose with my MMF and had it dry nicely! princess.gif

boxerbabe Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 6

Try modleing chocloate... melt 4 oz. vanilla flavored candy coating,add 2 tablespoones coarn syrup mix well cool at least 4 hours nead until smooth add jell coloring as you need you might want to cover that with fondant for uniformity

MJoycake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

I used 50/50 wilton fondant with wilton gumpaste for my teapot handle...I actually molded it with a short skewer sticking out of the top part...let it dry a few days, then put a little RI where it would attach and stuck the skewer in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%