I am trying to finish up a teapot cake....I am having trouble with the handle.
First I made out of mmf ....it never set up...soft....so I redid with fondant adding gumtex and powdered sugar to stiffen the fondant....nope a no go this would not set up either
Then I redid with all gumpaste...it did stiffen but when I went to attach to cake it broke....grrrrr
I have tried in the past a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mix but have not had any luck with this mixture...it was very crumbly and dry...Is that because I use mmf instead of commercial fondant?
So now I have an even stiffer fondant setting up on the cake but it is propped up with a halved papertowel roll wrapped in wax paper and I am not sure that this is going to set up.
Its not like this cake has a due date this is just technique and design practice. But I would like to make another for a friends bday on Monday...tho I do have a back up cake plan for her.
Have I missed anything....any other tips or tricks that you can suggest?
I quit mixing stuff with MMF cause it seemed to always stay soft. Some people use pastillage for that type of work. I use 50/50 or just gumpaste.
I have found that using MMF does not work well at all for fondant pieces. I typically use Wilton fondant with gumtex to get it to dry well. I have had to use RI on the fondant baby cribs, picture frames for this very reason, the MMF would not set firm at all. I thought it was the weather. Repeat the crib for another cake, there was no humidity, same thing. Oh yeah a great tip came from the wonderful people here(The Mighty CCers) let your pieces dry in a turned off oven with the light on. HTH
I have mixed tylose with my MMF and had it dry nicely!
Try modleing chocloate... melt 4 oz. vanilla flavored candy coating,add 2 tablespoones coarn syrup mix well cool at least 4 hours nead until smooth add jell coloring as you need you might want to cover that with fondant for uniformity
I used 50/50 wilton fondant with wilton gumpaste for my teapot handle...I actually molded it with a short skewer sticking out of the top part...let it dry a few days, then put a little RI where it would attach and stuck the skewer in.