I Need Help -- My Marshmallow Fondant Melts?

Decorating By amanda924 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm by amanda924

amanda924 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,
I have been making and using the marshmallow fondant, and it works great for me...except that after a day or two, it gets really soft and starts to melt...it gets worse as time goes on...it leaves like a residue and it's kind of gross...any suggestions for this? Would it help to refrigerate the cake after I cover it? Or am I simply doing something wrong?

2 replies
sherrycanary62 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 3

I am a newbie too and make MMF....I have never had mine melt (on the contrary when I made chocolate MMF with cocoa powder it became rock hard)

I use the recipe from cakejournal.com...I love this recipe as you can add color to the melted marshmallow and not have to knead it in)

what are you using underneath the fondant...buttercream? jam? does the recipe have shortening in it?

amanda924 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, buttercream underneath...I don't use shortening IN the recipe, but use plenty on my kneading surface and on my hands...could it be that? I will check out the recipe...the one I use is to just melt the marshmallows with water/flavor and mix in powdered sugar....I love it because it's so easy and tastes great. But I don't love the way it looks after a couple of days icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%