Kopykake Projector Cookies, Pls Share

Baking By ZlatkaT Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 3:07am by CookiesinLA

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 189

My DH wanted to buy me a gift for my BD, and my wish is to get a projector for cookie/cake decorating. If you have one, would you please tell me what kind, and how happy are you with it. And also would you like to share with me some of your work? Maybe quick tutorial, do you first trace it with edible pen and then outline, flood? Or do you work directly with RI under the projector. I would really appreciate your experience here. Thank you!

188 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

My DH wanted to buy me a gift for my BD, and my wish is to get a projector for cookie/cake decorating. If you have one, would you please tell me what kind, and how happy are you with it. And also would you like to share with me some of your work? Maybe quick tutorial, do you first trace it with edible pen and then outline, flood? Or do you work directly with RI under the projector. I would really appreciate your experience here. Thank you!

I have a KopyKake projector, and love it! While I don't use it much for cookies (I used it on the gnomes in my photos), I use it extensively for cakes. If using it for cookies, I would recommend tracing the design with edible pens (the lighter color ones work best). If there isn't a lot of detail, you could even use a pencil....they're non-toxic.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 189

Ditto....I'm looking at projectors soon too for baking projects. Thanks for posting this.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 189

How are they used on cookies? Is the design traced right onto the cookie or do you have to transfer it?

ZlatkaT Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 189

GeminiRJ
what kind of projector do you have? I saw some very cool cookies, it looks to me, that it could replace stenciling, which I am not good at. I would like to do some more interesting cookies, than just trace and flood the cutter shape. I would love to see some work if anybody wanted to share.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

GeminiRJ
what kind of projector do you have? I saw some very cool cookies, it looks to me, that it could replace stenciling, which I am not good at. I would like to do some more interesting cookies, than just trace and flood the cutter shape. I would love to see some work if anybody wanted to share.

The model of KopyKake projector I have is the 520 watt one. It's hard to read the model type, but I think it says 1000. I wouldn't give it up for anything, and I would replace it in a heartbeat if it ever quit working. I doubt you would regret buying one....there are some good deals on ebay if you are patient.

luv2bake6 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 189

This is very interesting. I'd love to see more samples of cookies where this is used.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:33am
post #8 of 189

the two kopykake projectors used for cakes are the 300KX and the 1000K. the 300kx has one light bulb, the other has 2 light bulbs. These are photography lightbulbs that are 500W, very very bright. with the 300kx you may need to turn the light off in your room and close the blinds to see the projected image. the other one does not have to do that. i use mine all the time on my cakes, and i have used it for cookies too, and fondant plaques. Its an item i would not part with and highly recommend.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #9 of 189

To those of you that use your projectors, how do you keep your self or shadow out of the way of the picture ? I find it hard to keep myself from getting in my own way!
I know that sounds funny but I get so annoyed that Im always in my own way and blocking the light on the cake !
Thanks for any reply!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:39am
post #10 of 189

Fiddlesticks- what model do you have?

I have a Kopykake also, and like Gemini, wouldnt trade it for anything in the world!! It's GREAT for writing, spacing, etc!!

I first tried to get a cheaper model from Michaels with a 40% off coupon and it was AWFUL!! Like you mentioned, Fiddle, my hand/shadow was ALWAYS getting in the way of the light, and I couldnt get anything done at all!! I returned it immediately. The Kopykake is a million times better AND you can use it in real light (as opposed to dark like other projectors).

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #11 of 189

sweetcakes, i was just looking at your photos and am truly amazed. How do you get your piping of RI to be so precise no matter how small or close the designs are?

fiddlesticks Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 189

chefjulie... I have a KopyKake 300 xk... I can see the image on the cake/cookie what ever but I cant figure out how to keep my hands out of the way LOL!
When I go to trace the image Im in the way hehe!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its very annoying !
Thansk for the reply!

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:05pm
post #13 of 189

Anyone around ???? Im posting again to see if I will get a thread notice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chefjulie... I have a KopyKake 300 xk... I can see the image on the cake/cookie what ever but I cant figure out how to keep my hands out of the way LOL!
When I go to trace the image Im in the way hehe!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its very annoying !
Thansk for the reply!

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 189

hi, i'm here. Hope you get the notice

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 189

Yes Thanks I got a notice !! Yahooo! Its been months since they stopped !!

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 189

Great!!

BTW, i went ahead and ordered the kopykake projector. I'm nervous and excited to try it out. I hope it's worthwhile as i am admittedly an impulsive buyer..........

chefjulie Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #17 of 189

That's the same one I have Fiddle! I can definitely see my shadow when I'm working, but it's not a hindrance. Maybe if you try to dim the lights a touch it will help? I think the 1000 is supposed to be the best as far as shadows, but if I remember correctly, it was about $200 more. OUCH!

Oh, and I didnt get a notice- just saw this thread on the main page. FRUSTRATING!!!!

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #18 of 189

That's why i got the 300X too. Since i don't have an official business and really only make cookies for family and friends, it's not worth the investment for a more expensive projector.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:38pm
post #19 of 189

Thanks chefjulie, can you share what size bulb is in yours? mine came and still has the 270 watt in it..I dont know if you can use a bigger watt bulb in that model ? do you know ?
luv2bake6.Good for you,I hope you get it soon!
Thats also the reason I bought the model I did was I really didnt need the business one but if I cant enjoy this one I may wish I got that one ?..
chefjulie..any tips on how you use yours with out getting in the way? Like I seem to be able to see the photo well enough but just get ME in the way of the photo trying to trace it ...annoying !!!!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:08pm
post #20 of 189

Is anyone out there LOL!
Can anyone answer my last post ???

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #21 of 189

Wel if anyone gets annoyed enough with their own shadow that they want to sell their kopykake projector, please let me know!! I"m just dying to get my hands on one but can't afford a brand new one!!

chefjulie Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #22 of 189

Ima go check mine, BRB icon_smile.gif It's definitely the one that came with it, though.

chefjulie Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:23pm
post #23 of 189

Okay, Mine's actually only a 250 watt bulb!

I dont know how to tell you to make it better, other than try holding your hand a different way... I know I tend to hunch way over so I'm right on top of what I'm doing and can see everything up close and personal! Dont know if that helps or not icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 189

KHalstead..LOL!! I will never get that annoyed ..hehe!
I hope you can get one some how though..Im sure its just a matter of getting it just right Some how !!!

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #25 of 189

chefjulie..Ok.. Thx Im sure its just me having to get used to it,I get annoyed and then stick it away in the closet hehe!
I will have to figure it out and move my self all around etc !
Thanks for the reply !!

luv2bake6 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:15pm
post #26 of 189

Just received the 300X projector but havent had a chance to unpack it. I'll have to wait till Monday when the kids will be at school and i can concentrate on the instructions and then playing around with it.
Any last suggestions on setup or what to start doing?
Where do you all get diagrams to work with?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #27 of 189

I have the 300XK and I love it...I use it all the time for my cakes and cookies.All the cookies in my photos are done with my projecter...I don't have much problem with shadows I just move around until I can see.You get used to it..I have had mine for 5 years and wouldn't trade it for anything!! One of my best investments!

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:22am
post #28 of 189

luv2bake6 ...congrats to you!!
I guess I need to get mine out and play again Its been sleeping in the closet for a while now!! LOL!
Maybe I have learned more since I used it last!

luv2bake6 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #29 of 189

Thanks guys. I'm itching so badly to get it out, set up and try it out, but i need to wait until i'm alone in the house so i can concentrate.

Where do you go to print nice designs and/or fonts that will work nicely with the projector?

ZlatkaT Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #30 of 189

So, if I am getting this right, it is like doing color flow directly on cookie? How do you do a small details, like eyes, freehand?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%