Coloring A Pumpkin Cake?

Decorating By stsapph Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm by Bossy

stsapph Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 11

Hey all!!

I'm attempting a pumpkin cake for the first time and need a little help. I have tinted my fondant with orange, looks kinda like orange sorbet right now. Once I have it on the cake, I was planning on painting the rest of the color on to give it more dimension and a realistic feel (hopefully!!). I was planning on using more of the orange, brown, yellow and a little green to paint on to the fondant. Anyone have any suggestions on how exactly to mix the colors to get the right pumpkin shade? Should I tint the fondant a little more to help out? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Amber

10 replies
snocilla Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 11

I covered a pumpkin cake in fondant last night... sorry I don't have pics yet, but I used a very small amount of the wilton black, and then kept adding wilton orange until I got the right shade. It started out kind of tan, but as I added more orange, it eventually became a perfect burnt orange sort of color! I'm going to paint it tonight; I was thinking of using a thinned brown on mine for shadowing, but I'm not sure if that's what I should use or not. Maybe someone else can give us a little more insight on that...

Cakepro Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 11

Do you have an airbrush? The pumpkin cake in my pics was airbrushed using orange with graduating amounts of tan and brown added.

snocilla Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 11

I don't have an airbrush. I was just going to use a paintbrush. I only want to do a bit of shadow in the grooves. But you think mixing a little brown and orange together would work? Or just the brown for the shadowing?

Cakepro Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 11

brown and orange....you just want the orange a shade darker for the recessed areas. icon_smile.gif

TPACakeGirl Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 11

I did a great orange color for my fondant. I used orange and then added a little red to it. Not enough that it was a red orange. Just a little smidge of red.

stsapph Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the tips! I think I can do this now and not feel completely lost! lol. I will definitely post when I have completed it. Thanks again!

Amber

snocilla Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 11

Here is my pumpkin cake. I ended up not painting the grooves, mostly due to time constraints.

Amber - I look forward to seeing how yours turns out!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1503282

MrCake01 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 11

Stsapph
I did a pumpkin cake (it was butter cream though but I think the colors would be ok for fondant)
and you are right, if you just use orange color it looks very orange. I used Wilton gel colors and used orange, buttercup yellow, a little brown, band a little leaf green. I would suggest using an airbrush machine if you have one. To give your pumpkin realistic dimensions the airbrush would be great. You want to be able to color some area more than others like the grooves.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

cakesrock Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 11

I did a pumpkin cake (see it in my photos) and found a bit of COPPER was the key to deepening the orange...Mine was also a bit flourescent until I added the copper.
You're probably already done, but good luck anyway...

Bossy Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 11

I just did a pumpkin cake Weds. and combined orange, copper, and lots of terra cotta together. Looks very realistic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%