Open Clam With Mermaid Inside

Decorating By jobueno Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 4:22pm by jobueno

jobueno Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 8

I have been requested to make a Mermaid cake for an 18 year old's birthday. I decided to make an open clam shell with the mermaid sitting in the middle or fairly closer to the edge. Bottom and top part of clam will be carved cake.

My question is Does anyone here have experience with having a cake open at an angle greater than 45 degrees? If so, How can it be managed to keep a cake open at this angle without it falling off?

7 replies
prterrell Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 8

I wouldn't do the top part in cake. I'd do either RKT or chocolate.

jobueno Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 8

Sounds like a good idea! Thanks.

Any other takers!! I need all the ideas I can get. TIA

KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 8

RKT would be so much easier. Especially since you could have it opened at a really exaggerated angle and no worries. Other option could be to cover carved styrofoam in fondant then you could have a pretty underside to the open clam shell (rkt and cake would need a board on the underside to support them) Just a thought!

Spuddysmom Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 8

Wouldn't the open top part of the clam shell work best in gumpaste? If you wanted a think shell look, gumpaste would certainly be light-weight but sturdy enough. I guess if you want the clamshell thicker carved RKT is better.

jlynnw Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 8

Charm City cakes did a cake like this and had to do the upper in gumpaste. I saw the show and somewhat remember the cake. It looked elegant. Something about a clam with pearls and they took creative license with it. The RKT would have to be very firm or it will cave.

jobueno Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks all for you input All very cool ideas, but mainly I'm thinking support system.

jobueno Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks all for you input All very cool ideas, but mainly I'm thinking support system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%