Refrigerating Fondant Accents

Decorating By cookiecutters Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm by brincess_b

cookiecutters Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 6

I have a buttercream covered cake that must be refrigerated due to the filling. I'm new with fondant but I've heard that fondant should not be refrigerated. Can I refrigerate this cake with fondant accents/decorations on it? Thanks.

5 replies
ninatat Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 6

personally i wouldn't the colors could run, and fondant take along time to dry, so you could put your decorations on after the cake is at room temp

cookiecutters Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

Okay, but I am trying to get it ready today but it doesn't have to be delivered until tomorrow so I would have to refrigerate it tonight. Should I get it all ready and then put the fondant decorations on right before I have to deliver?

itscake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 6

I always refridgerate my decorated cakes...and have never had a problem...as long as the fondant was well dried..

CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 6

I refrigerate all my cakes, bc and fondant and have never had a problem.

The one thing I did find out is if you use Crisco instead of cornstarch to roll out your fondant then the condensation takes forever to evaporate off your cake and it leaves the fondant looking wet and shiny, and not in a good way.
So you can use Crisco to knead it and even roll it out but dust it wth some cornstarch before you apply them.

I've decorated fondant cakes and immediatly put them in the fridge while the fondant was still fresh and not dry, so you should'nt have any problems with that either.

brincess_b Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 6

its a tricky one to call. some fondants cope better with refridgeration than others. some fridges are better than others. then things like humidity and temperature play a roll.
the main risk is condensation - so as long as you dont touch it, leave the condensation to evaporate, it should be ok. touching it will give you smudges, or gooey fondant.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%