"dense" Cake Recipes ??? ...

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 1:05am by deliciously_decadent

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:50am
post #1 of 12

Hi All!

I think I am over the "Boxed" cakes!! I have so many problems with them. Once of the problems being that I cannot cut any of them without them falling apart or becoming waaaaaaay to crumby. I cut the sides of the cakes so that they are completly straight, eliminating the bulge that sometimes develops when cakes settle. (not the filling bulge)

I have many of Sharon Zambitos DVD's and she talks about how she uses a "dense" cake receipe for her cakes that she cuts. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are "Dense" cake moist???

Any suggestions?

11 replies
Mikel79 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 12

icon_cry.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 12

dense cakes are still moist. but some people get confused by the dense bit, and think its dry. its not!
i use a victoria sponge for most of my cakes, and a maderia or pound cake when i want something more substantial.
xx

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 12

I'm pretty sure Sharon uses a recipe similar to the WASC cake. It uses a boxed mix, a pudding mix, and some extra flour, sugar, sourcream, vanilla.

I use boxed mixes with the extender recipe and use them for carved cakes too and they work great for carving. Nice tight crumb!

Mikel79 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you folks =)

Helps a lot

RebelChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelChick Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 12

Can someone please explain "extender recipe" to me? icon_redface.gif TIA!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with Khalstead....Sharon I believe uses the WASC. It starts off with cake mix but then other ingredients are added. It is dense but also very yummy and most of all you can creamers, pudding mixes...etc...the options are endless. Here is a link to the WASC google recipes, also both the durable cake recipe for carving that sharon uses (got from her website). A tip for carving...use a dense recipe and it is easier to carve a cake that has been chilled or semi frozen....less crumbs
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6093/durable-cake-for-3d-in-chocolate

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 12

Here is the extender recipe.........basically when all is said and done, it's dense and really yummy, and called an "extender" because it turns 1 cake mix into the equivalent of 1 1/2 cake mixes.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1977/cake-mix-extender

very similar to the WASC w/ out the almond

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 12

in australia our standard cake is a mud cake. i used to think it was an american style cake as the traditional choc mud is called a boston mud, then when i got into decorating i found that most americans have never heard of mud cake. and you guys mostly use more butter stye cakes. you must hunt down a choc mud cake recipe!!! (sorry can't share mine or id have to kill you lol!) they are the most dense moist delivious cakes you will ever eat!!! they are full of choclate and have a fuge like consistency to them. these are the cakes we use ganache with, they are so yummy they only need choclate ganache to torte and fill with. its the standard cake in australia apart from frut cake and sponge which don't get used much lol!!!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 12

Posted my recipe here last week Taya ..... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

No secrets here!! they aren't all that different ! and GOOGLE will produce 1,500 recipes at the tap of a key

Its whats on the outside that sets the decoraters apart

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Hi All!

I think I am over the "Boxed" cakes!! I have so many problems with them. Once of the problems being that I cannot cut any of them without them falling apart or becoming waaaaaaay to crumby. I cut the sides of the cakes so that they are completly straight, eliminating the bulge that sometimes develops when cakes settle. (not the filling bulge)

I have many of Sharon Zambitos DVD's and she talks about how she uses a "dense" cake receipe for her cakes that she cuts. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are "Dense" cake moist??? Any suggestions?

Try my fudge cake....dense, super moist...and super easy...it's practically foolproof!

FUDGE CAKE

Heat oven to 325 ºF.

Grease and flour two 8 inch layer pans (line layer pans with waxed paper before greasing and flouring).

In a small saucepan, combine:

1 cup water
1 teaspoon instant coffee
½ cup cocoa
1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
1 stick butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Bring to a boil, mix thoroughly, then cool to room temperature.

In a mixing bowl, combine:

2 cups self-rising flour [I use White Lily]
2 cups sugar

Blend well to combine.

Pour cocoa mixture over flour mixture and mix on low until blended.

Add:

2 large eggs
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix on medium speed one minute, scraping bowl frequently.

Pour into pans. Bake until cake tests done with a toothpick.

Remove from oven.

Cool 5 minutes, then cover with a paper towel and invert onto a cooling rack or cookie sheet and allow to sit upside down [don't remove the pan yet] for 5 minutes, then remove the pan and allow the cake to cool about 10 minutes.

Allowing it to sit upside down gives a great dense texture.

Wrap completely in plastic wrap until ready to use.

This cake keeps well at room temp for 3-4 days and freezes great!

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #12 of 12

haah pam should have known you would be on here soemwhere lol!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%