Edible Picture

Decorating By sweet445 Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 3:09am by sweet445

sweet445 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:37am
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I'm new on this forum and I find it very interestingicon_smile.gif
I would like some advice regarding using a rice paper picture on a 8X12 mousse cake(top and sides). Do you think it is possible to do it and how should I apply it so it doesn't dissolve too soon?
Thanks a lot

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't had good luck at all using edible images on whipped style icings, the colors always run and bleed and it looks muddy! Rice paper tends to be more sturdy than the typical edible images, but I probably wouldn't do it...you really run the risk of your image colors bleeding into eachother

Welcome to CC!

sweet445 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for advice...from your experience, what icing would work better? I've never used edible picture on cakes, but because a customer really wants it, I need to have a good understanding how it works and if I'll be able to deliver a good"product" icon_lol.gif
I'm assuming fondant will be better,but the client has a small budget to use...

tiggy2 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 8

Buttercream works very well under edible images.

hensor Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8

I did an edible image on a graduation cake this summer using Rich's Bettercreme. I just put the image on an hour before I delivered it. The image held up all that day and into the next...nobody would cut into the graduation picture..lol

leah_s Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 8

There's a world of difference between using wafer paper ("rice" paper) and icing sheets. Wafer paper doesn't take color as well and will not be easy to cut once it's on the cake. Actually EI on wafer paper should not be your first choice.

an EI on an icing sheet works very well. The colors typically are more vibrant and the icing melds into the buttercreme underneath it, without harming the picture and it cuts just like icing (which it is.)

That said, and after many years of using these things, all icing sheets are not created equal. I have recently found that Luck's brand sheet are FAR superior to other brands. Easy to peel off and no need to freeze.

KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 8

regular buttercream is your best bet........also, white buttercream is better than colored (sometimes the background color can affect the image too)

sweet445 Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #8 of 8

Hi, thank you all for help...Today I went to a bakery that uses rice paper on their cakes.The baker said the picture lasts longer on their cakes because they brush a thin layer of white chocolate on the back of the picture. Of course he didn't tell me the details,it is a well kept secret shhh.gif but what do you think about that?

Blessings,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%