Tres Leche Cake...good Seller?

Business By littlecake Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 4:46am by gladysrdz24

littlecake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 5

i'm thinking of adding it to my line up.

i've never made it before icon_redface.gif ...ha ha...i bake everything ahead midweek, most of my customers only give you a couple days notice on sheetcakes...

my question is...so i can take a white prebaked sheetcake out of the freezer, thaw it, poke holes in the top and add the 3 milks mixed up?

i bought a bucket of bettercream to frost it with.

1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk and 1 cup of half and half right?

am i missing anything?

also, has anyone tried this with chocolate?....

i know it wouldn't be real tres leche, but i bet it rtastes good.

this seems like a lot of liquid for a 1/4 sheet.

4 replies
CakeForte Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 5

yes, one of my top sellers. The traditional one is VERY moist. For party cakes and weddings I don't use that much. Only enough to where is soaks through, but not seep out of the bottom. There is no shelf life with it though, if it's a wedding it has to get trashed at the end of the night. I sell it with chocolate too. My PERSONAL fav is the vanilla, b/c I'm not a chocolate person at all.

froglover Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 5

we sell it to our mexican community a lot but it is not just a white cake with stuff poured on it. google for a recipie, You have to cook the batter ontop of the stove before you bake it then you make a sauce on the stove to poke and pour on it a traditional tre leches has fresh fruit in and ontop of it. Also it is usually whipped icing not bc. not to sound mean but i would do a little more research before you decide to try it. It will be easier to do your research now and getting it right the first time people try it than to have them try a lower quality one and the try to get them to retry when you make a real tres leches. hth

icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:26am
post #4 of 5

froglover is right.. make them .like they are suppose to be. and you will sell a lot. i have tried several recipes.. from scratch.. and yes, the whipped icing and not buttercream.. i used fresh strawberries. delicious. hth

gladysrdz24 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 5

yup this cake sells a lot but mostly in sheet cakes and not so much for weddings and stuff like. i absolutely hate it but what can you do....sigh....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%