$? For Anyone Who Does Gift Baskets With Candies Or Cookies

Business By froglover Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm by CakeDiva73

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 5

So my shop does candies and cookies as well as cakes. We offer fudge, brittle, pralines, roasted pecans etc. My question is how do you make gift packages with these. I mean do you say this size candy tin is $$ and you can add 3 diff. candies to it. Or this tin is $$ and it will hold 2 lbs. of any candy. Or just charge them price per lb. plus tin or basket. Or give them set baskets with no choices. Each of our candies are prices seperately not just so much per lb. like some people because some candies cost us more to make than others. Any Ideas or suggestions as to what you do?
BTW we are afraid of giving people too many options or choices and making it confusing.

4 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

personally, (i dont do this but i like your idea) I would do the first option, price for the tin with 3 different candys in it! HTH

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 5

Hi froglover,
Your idea of not giving too many choices is a good one. YOu will spend countless of hours holding people's hand so to speak as they make choices.

As to what to offer. I use to package lots of gift baskets and I was taught to add all the prices together (retail rate ) add the price of basket, wrapping supplies, etc. Add a small amount for labor and then double the amount. It might seem pricey that way but we did custom baskets and it seems to me that you want to have baskets prepackaged which will cut down the cost.

So in other words for a $100.00 basket. The basket would probably have only about $35.00 worth of products. We had other items besides candies in them. Wine or other spirits would jump the price of the basket.

Sorry to make this so long but HTH

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 5

We make a variety of chocolate products in addition to cakes: lollipops, filled, solids. We will make up any basket to order. We charge $5-15 per basket (depending upon the cost) and then $16/pound ($1/ounce) for any of the chocolates. So, if grandma's birthday basket fills to 25 ounces, we will charge $30-40 based upon the basket cost. We end up making 90% profit before labor.

Paul

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 5

I also like the idea of offering a couple different style/priced baskets because it will be easier once the orders start rolling in. I difficulty pricing mine and just winged it, figured what I wanted to charge per dozen of cookies, candies, etc.

Offered a medium and large of two different trays: one had homestyle cookies (i.e. cheaper & simpler) with a decorative one in the middle and a couple truffles. The other was fancier with a sozen truffles, brittle, gourmet cookies and several decorated ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%