I Made This And It Was Delicious! Try It!

Lounge By misserica Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 12:42am by milkmaid42

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 16

I got the recipe from Redbook magazine. I baked it on Monday afternoon. I baked it in a 10 inch spring form pan as it states. The cake is massive. Needless to say, there is just about 1 serving left (5 adults live in my house) and its only Wednesday afternoon.

If you have time, try it! It takes a little longer than the recipe says but it is beyond worth it.

It is called "Best Ever Apple Cake"...

* 3/4 cup(s) chopped pecans
* 3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
* 2 cup(s) sugar
* 2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
* 4 large baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
* 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
* 1 teaspoon(s) salt
* 4 large eggs
* 1/2 cup(s) vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
* 1/4 cup(s) orange juice
* 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch removable-bottom tube pan with nonstick spray. Sprinkle pecans evenly on bottom of pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and cinnamon. Add apples and toss to combine.
3. In another large bowl, mix remaining flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs, oil, butter, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Beat until batter is smooth.
4. Pour half of the batter (about 2 cups) into prepared pan. Top with half of apple mixture. Spoon remaining batter over apples and top with remaining apples, placing them 1/4 inch in from the tube and the border of the cake.
5. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Run a paring knife around the sides and center of cake and turn cake out onto wire rack. Invert cake onto another rack to cool, apple side up.

15 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 16

It sounds yummy! I'll have to try it!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 16

I'm gonna try it! I love a good apple cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 16

I'm gonna try it! I love a good apple cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:27am
post #5 of 16

sounds delicious, I used to make an apple cake when I was in high school with coffee in it. It was so good but I lost the recipe. I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 16

Do they sell apples specifically for baking?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 16

Baking apples are usually those that are hard and tart. Sweet soft ones cook into mush.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 16

Ok...thanks icon_smile.gif .

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 16

When I think of apples to bake with I think of Granny Smith's. icon_smile.gif

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Baking-with-Apples/Detail.aspx

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 16

This sounds really good. I have never had apple cake so I will definitely give it a try. Do you eat it just as it is or do you serve it with something?

misserica Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:02am
post #11 of 16

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, I have not gotten an email about the updates.

For the apples, I used 1 granny smith, 1 jonah gold, 2 gala apples. I do not know why I used 3 different kinds. Anyway, you can use any of the 3 and like someone else said, the tart apples hold up best and do not turn mushy.

I ate it plain because I am lactose intolerant but everyone in mu house had it with some vanilla ice cream.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 16

That sounds yummy. A girl at work brought apple cake to work the other day that was also really good. I had to look to see if it was the same recipe, but it wasn't. It was really moist, if you like apple cake you may also like this one. Here's the recipe:

2 Cups Sugar, 1 Cup Oil, 3 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2-1/2 cups flour, 1 teas. cinnamon, 1 teas. salt, 2 teas. baking powder, 1 teas. baking soda, 3 cups chopped baking apples, 3/4 cup chopped nuts, 6 ounces butterscotch chips.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir in apples and nuts. Pour batter into 9X13 inch pan. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips. Bake 4--45 minutes.

This is the downfall though girls: Per bar: Calories = 532, 6 grams protein, 67 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 29 grams fat (7 g saturated, 53 mg cholesterol, 408 mg sodium.
Maybe we could leave off the butterscotch chips. LOL.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 16

Man, could you imagine the calories if you added ice cream. Maybe we could make it fat-free, sugar-free ice cream.

misserica Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #14 of 16

Just wanted to update...I made another one today to bring with us to BF's house, well it was better than the first time. I felt like I did all the same things but I do not have a scale to measure only a measuring cup so maybe I added a little more of something or other.

Do any of you have a recipe that is just too good? Want to share?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 16

i will definitely have to give this a try...i love apple cake!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #16 of 16

I am a pathological recipe collector. My 4 boys are grown and gone but I still keep collecting recipes, even though I am the only one at home now. I have a number of apple cake recipes, in fact, a whole book on apple recipes, but this looks like a winner, being paired with orange. I agree with the Granny Smith. It is just about my favorite apple. I am dying to try it. (When I look at that calorie count, dying is the operative word! Especially when it HAS to be topped with ice cream...) Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%