Baking/decorating Schedule

Decorating By jamielittle Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm by jamielittle

jamielittle Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing my cousin's wedding cake in a few weeks and I just have a couple questions about the time schedule. Due to scheduling, I will need to bake the cakes in one location and then drive them to another location 3.5 hours away before decorating. Here is my plan:

Monday: Get all fondant accents ready (only those that need time to harden)

Tuesday: Get up early and bake all cakes (12", 10", 8", and 6"). I figure 6-8 hours baking time. After giving sufficient cooling time, I will tightly wrap each layer in plastic wrap for freshness. (I also plan to make all frostings either this day or Monday)

Wednesday: Drive to new location. Get cakes leveled and filled. Allow time to set.

Thursday: Ice cakes (this step might be done on Wednesday if time permits). Cover cakes in fondant.

Friday: Stack and finish decorating.

Saturday: Wedding

(Somewhere in the mix, I will also be doing a simple grooms cake)

Will this be ok? Will the cake still be moist enough? I use the WASC recipe and I know it's really moist in general. Just wanted to check to see what you all think? Also, should the cake be refrigerated as much as possible? Or left at room temp until decorated?

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 7

I don't put cakes in the fridge unless they have a filling that has to be refrigerated. So I would definitely leave it out at room temp.

I don't make WASC, so I'm not sure if it will be dry. Hopefully, someone will let you know if you need to add a moistening syrup. I normally bake late on Wed or Thursday for a Sat wedding. Could you freeze the cakes on Tuesday night and then take them out on Wed.

Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 7

Be careful when wrapping them 'tightly' that you don't disfigure them. I suggest you level and fill (if filling can stand fz'ing) before wrapping. If filling can't be fzn, then just level and stack the two layers of each size w/wax paper between and wrap them together. For that short of time you only need to put them into plastic bags - don't need to over wrap themicon_smile.gif Freeze once baked & wrapped.
On the drive to the new location they will thaw and be ready for you to work on - filling, crumb coating and finish icing.
Depending on your oven size, you probably can bake one layer each of the 12, 8 and 6 at one time. Then the 2 10"ers so when they are done you can have the next layer of the 12, 8 & 6 ready to go in.
While baking you should have time to make your b'cream icing. HTH

step0nmi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7

i agree with kakeladi...I would do it her way. with WASC you don't have to freeze as it's a really moist cake because of the sour cream. just make sure to wrap well but not tightly...I would go one step further as to level out your cakes after they are cooled because then you have less bulk to take with you and less mess when you get to your location...you can just fill and frost and be ready to decorate icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 7

..........with WASC you don't have to freeze as it's a really moist cake ........

Actually keeping the cake moist is not the only reason to fz it.
The longer you have the cake (out) the less time the custom er has to enjoy it.
If there are leftovers, they will not keep very well when the cake has been baked on Tues; served on Sat. That's about max time for any cake to stay fresh.

step0nmi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 7

i just meant she didn't have to freeze...she could refrigerate it. sorry for forgetting that part...I did that for my last WASC and it was fine

jamielittle Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the help!

Hopefully I can pull this all off! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%