A Little Hurt ---Vent

Lounge By SJ169 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 2:02am by Horselady

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #31 of 60

sj169, I took a peek at your photos and I think your work is as good ,actually even better than some professionals I have seen. When I get someone like this I just count my blessings that I didnt have to deal with them.What we do is and artform and should be appreciated as such.Keep your chin up and don't sweat the small stuff.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #32 of 60

When something like this happens its makes you want to show a breakdown of costs from the dowels to the boards, butter ect. The amount of time energy and effort going into making "just a cake". It just amazes me sometimes on what people are thinking. They get a box of cake add a couple of ingredients and poof a spectacular cake appears icon_rolleyes.gif A cake is just eggs and butter......a masterpiece painting is just paint and a canvas...well you get the picture icon_wink.gif Well you will get the last laugh though.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #33 of 60

Your cakes look great! The woman clearly doesn't know what she is talking about!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #34 of 60

And what is with all these people texting in orders and stuff anyway?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #35 of 60

newmansmom, that is one awesome quote! Saving!!

Assuming a 6/10 square, my price would be 3 times what you quoted her. $306 to be precise. You're welcome to share that with her.

I'm definitely on the list of folks who are dying to hear how this plays out! icon_wink.gif

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #36 of 60

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments and support icon_biggrin.gif You all made me feel much better icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

". It just amazes me sometimes on what people are thinking. They get a box of cake add a couple of ingredients and poof a spectacular cake appears A cake is just eggs and butter......a masterpiece painting is just paint and a canvas..

Exactly!! some people have no idea at all!!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

So get ready to be tough and be all booked up for that date icon_biggrin.gif

I love using the "Sorry, but I'm all booked up" line... icon_razz.gif Just had to use it a few days ago, makes me feel powerful icon_lol.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #38 of 60

I sat down YESTERDAY with a mom planning her son's 1st b'day, who is in need of a cake for THIS SUNDAY. I quoted her $200 for a 3 tier (10", single 8", 6" tiers) buttercream with fondant accents, and fondant/gumpaste monkey topper, and smash cupcake. I would have to boogie to be able to even do that in addition to the other big b'day cake I have this weekend. Her eyes bugged out and she said "WHOA!" I just sat there with a very professional smile on my face, but in my head I was thinking, "Go to ANY bakery in town and listen as they laugh you out of the store for even thinking you could get that kind of cake, for that kind of price, on that kind of notice." Got a big deposit from her! I think a lot of the time ppl know they can't get the same product anywhere else...they just try to get something for nothing. It's frustrating, but I've learned that it's just part of the deal when you'er doing any type of sales...even cakes!

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:55pm
post #39 of 60

i think the woman was miffed because she had every intention of taking advantage of you and it didn't work.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizw

i think the woman was miffed because she had every intention of taking advantage of you and it didn't work.

$110 for the cake in the op's photos is taking advantage. The customer is just to stupid to know that.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:54pm
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizw

i agree

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #42 of 60

Oh, that was just rude icon_sad.gif

It really was.

My aesthetician wanted an anniversary cake for her parents' party, 100 or so people, look like a wedding cake, etc, etc....

She was in the middle of giving me a pedicure - which I happily pay for icon_wink.gif

Would I be willing to take payment in aesthetic services?
I told her I would be happy to do the cake, and was willing to "trade" professional services with her.

$300 cake = $300 in services.

"OH! That much??! But you're not a professional!"

Ouch.

She made the cake.

She told me after...because I *HAD* to ask how the party went..heehee..that she was NEVER going to do that again! Did I have ANY idea how difficult it is to make a 2 tiered cake?? It started out as 3, but "something" happened!

Karma, honey...karma thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #43 of 60

CBMom, those are the BEST stories!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #44 of 60

Thanx to this discussion I was able to have a good talk with my daughter, who is also a decorator, just newer to the business than I am, about putting value on her time. She was asked to quote a price for a simple 8 inch two layer cake for next week. Normally I charge about 40 and up for a cake like this and told her so. She said that the girl worked with her at work and she wanted to give her a break to get her name out there more. So I broke down what it would cost for her to do the cake in materials and for what she was going to quote the girl at work she would have been working for about 2.50 an hour! I said, no way, you HAVE to value your time and have confidence that those who love your baking and talent will pay what you ask. Well, she VERY proudly called me back a few minutes later to say that the girl happily put down a deposit for the $40 version! So, see, it pays to stick to your price!

Cat

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #45 of 60

Personally I don't think the "I'm already booked" is the solution for every order where someone does something that bothers or hurts us. It doesn't really solve anything, espeically between friends are people we know.

If she comes back to you for a cake, then I think that I'd just be honest with her. Why is it when people hurt our feelings we let them get buy with it, with out telling them so? So then we are there with the hurt and they are going on their merry little lives. I'm certainly not saying taking the order if she comes back to you. I'm just saying that if she does, then tell her I'm sorry but no I can no longer do your cake. "I understand my prices may have been a shock to you, but my time working your cake away from my family is worth more than a doing a cheap cake for someone."

Chances are this isn't really a professional vs non professional issue. She was probably just looking for a cheap cake. She learned that she can't get a cake for nothing from you, just because you aren't a bakery. Hopefully she learned the lesson. And she will either pay the bigger prices or get a walmart cake.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #46 of 60

She probably was looking for a cheap cake and thought she could get one. But the fact is she was rude and there was no need for her comments. The OP has a right to decline business and tell them what ever she wants to use as an excuse. Maybe when she goes to the "professional" bakeries and realizes what a butt she was about see's that she can not get the cake she wants at a cheap price she will value the OP allot more.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #47 of 60

I agree with TexasSugar....it's hard to stand up for yourself when someone knocks your creativity and skill for whatever their reason, but letting them be rude and then passing it off with "I'm booked" doesn't help them appreciate you for what you're worth. Easier said than done, I know....I certainly would struggle with it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #48 of 60

Of course she can say what she wants. I was just giving my opinion. We always toss out the "tell them you are booked" when someone does something we don't like, from complain about prices, to late orders, to pita's. Yes it solves the current I'm not doing your cake, but it doesn't teach them to respect or treat us any better.

It just means that she is going to go on with her life not knowing she hurt feelings, not knowing she was being rude and not knowing exactly why her order isn't being taken. And it means the next time she wants a cake and has learned that the bakeries charge alot more, that she may come back. Will we always be booked for that type of person?

If you tell someone you aren't doing a cake for them because they are ordering last minute then they will learn they have to order earlier. If you tell them they are booked, chances are they will come back last minute again. Some things goes for almost any situation.

As I said this is just how I feel about it. There are alot of us on here that always say "tell them you are booked" and everyone has the right to handle a sitution as they feel is best for them. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #49 of 60

TexasSugar, I agree with you. Sometimes we have to bite our tongue, but when we get that one loophole that lets us 'let 'em have it', we should.

"I'm sorry. My time and effort wasn't good enough for you before. I can't see how it's good enough now. I'd hate for you to take one of my cakes as a last resort. That's not the kind of word of mouth advertising I'm looking for."

icon_twisted.gif

SJ169 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:03pm
post #50 of 60

Thanks everyone for the comments, Well I am actually booked now for the weekend she wanted me for..so im not lying even icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

"I'm sorry. My time and effort wasn't good enough for you before. I can't see how it's good enough now. I'd hate for you to take one of my cakes as a last resort. That's not the kind of word of mouth advertising I'm looking for."

Lol indydebi i love you icon_biggrin.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #51 of 60

I guarantee she won't get that cake done by a "professional" for that price. I looked at the cakes in your gallery...they are stunning. Don't let some rude obnoxious rip demean your work. I can't stand people who always want something for nothing. They are a waste of your valuable time, don't let them drag you down to their level. When she calls back, don't give her the satisfaction of only paying a $10.00 rush fee. Just tell her you are booked up.

SJ169 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #52 of 60

icon_biggrin.gif mwahaha

Okie so she emailed me this morning asking if I was still able to make the cake for this weekend, the quote she got from the local bakery was 205

-First off i am really booked now so i dont feel soo bad about saying i could no longer do that cake.

My response -

A,

Unfortunatley I am already booked for this weekend. I will not be able to do a cake for you but keep me in mind for any future cakes.

Have a fabulous day.

S.J

indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #53 of 60

oooooooo! Suddenly your "lousy" half-price, unprofessional cake looks pretty good to her? icon_lol.gif

I LUV it when justice is "just"! thumbs_up.gif

SJ169 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:30pm
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Quote:

oooooooo! Suddenly your "lousy" half-price, unprofessional cake looks pretty good to her?

Thats right! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #55 of 60

HAHAHAHA! Well, she did say that she wanted to hire a "professional" if she was going to pay "That much," so now I guess she'll get her wish, hahahahaha! icon_twisted.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:31am
post #56 of 60

So, if you ever hear from her again, you're going to quote her double, right? icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:07am
post #57 of 60

It would have been funny if you told her the new price of the cake with a rush fee is $205.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:37am
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

It would have been funny if you told her the new price of the cake with a rush fee is $205.

That's a great idea! icon_biggrin.gif

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:20pm
post #59 of 60

If you are charging for your cakes that makes you a professional! A professional is someone who gets paid for what they do. Next time someone tells you that, politely smile and tell them that!

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #60 of 60

I am one of those people who always wants to "teach them a lesson" like texas sugar... but reality is, all it will do is make them mad at/about my business and spread more fire... and my location doesn't have enough demand to afford that, so I'm always politically correct...

plus the OP has some ties to this person.. sometimes keeping the peace and being the bigger person is the wiser path to take, imo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%