Scrollwork Tips

Decorating By erincc Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm by CarolAnn

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen some cakes on here with amazing scrollwork. Any tips for those of us with less than perfect scrollwork skills? I've got a cake to do next month with tons of scrollwork & I'm starting to panic! Thanks!

7 replies
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 8

I'm bumping this up, because I was wondering the same thing. I'm so intimidated by scrollwork, but there's nothing more beautiful when done right. Hopefully, someone will answer.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 8

The one thing that I've found is important is the proper icing consistency. No stiff stuff. Plus, use a small amt. in your bag rather than filling it up, this seems to help in applying the proper pressure. And I've gotten into the habit of steadying my tip with my index finger of my nondominant hand.

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I will try using a smaller amount in my bag, and definitely no stiff icing.

gekkogeckos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gekkogeckos Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 8

i always use a really smal amount of piping gel when i am doing scroll work, i find it flows a lot better.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, piping gel in buttercream icing works really good. Forgot that one!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 8

hi, i also do henna, if you go to the HENNA PAGE it has a free pattern section, in henna you do alot of scrool work, it opens in adobee, the first one is i think the seed, and you can print only the page you want, on the printer it will say pg 1-3 i'm sure you know that but just in case. ok so if you were to click on a pattern it will show it and how to enhance the pattern with other scrolling to add to it. there allot, i've heard of different ways to make your mark after copying the scroll, some use a wire and leave tips up for a handle to make the impression or free hand, and some other ways. i think you might like this there are so many designs

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 8

I love scroll work on cakes. It's one of the things I want to concentrate on this winter while I'm inside more. I'll be watching here for good advice. Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%