Aftermarket Blades For Kitchenaid Mixers

Decorating By gramofgwen Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 2:44am by kayla1505

gramofgwen Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 22

Has anyone used one of the new type blades made by other companies for use with the Kitchenaid mixer? I'm contemplating getting one, but not sure if it's worth the $30 price. Thnx in advance for any info you have. icon_smile.gif

21 replies
Peridot Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 22

Would love to know the answer to this also.

TejasRebel Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 22

A family member gave me one for my birthday. Works great in my 6 qt. BUT. But... it squeaks. And it's a drive-you-crazy kind of squeak. I don't use it if I'm making up something that has to mix for any longer than 2 minutes. I'd rather manually scrape down the bowl. It does do a good job of incorporating everything well, though. I will say that.

Amylou Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 22

Are you talking about the Beater Blade?

I recently got it and love it! You don't have to scrape the bowl down much and it doesn't leave a flour or ps pool at the bottom of the mixing bowl. Definitely worth the $30!

jillangel Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 22

Worth every last penny and I'd have paid more and it still would have been worth it! I LOVE it!

grandmom Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 22

There are several brands. I considered the Beater Blade and the Side Swipe. I got the Beater Blade because I read in a review that nuts and such got stuck in the openings in the Side Swipe.

I love the thing. It does squeak some, but it doesn't bother me. The bowl should be dropped when using the Beater Blade, which is kind of a pain if you move back and forth between the orignal paddle and the Beater Blade. Maybe the squeak would be lessened if the bowl were dropped a little more.

Kitagrl Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 22

I LOVE mine!

Bad side: I like to make cookie dough including throwing in the chips or nuts with the paddle. Did this twice. Both times broke the beater blade, because its heavy duty plastic...not metal. So I have spent $90 on beater blades and only have one to show for it! icon_cry.gif

It works like a charm on icing and cake batter though...I have two mixers and now when I have to mix two things at once, the beater blade shows an obvious improvement over whatever is in the mixer next to it, with the regular paddle.

I'll probably eventually get enough guts to pay yet another thirty bucks on a blade for my second mixer. *sigh*

DianeLM Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 22

I've been considering getting it for my 7 quart Viking. Anyone have this on their Viking? Would appreciate reviews.

chelleb1974 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #9 of 22

I have the Beater Blade and love it! Mine only recently started squeaking, but it's nothing I can't handle. I have noticed it lessens if there is more in the bowl. I have the 4.5qt tilt head. I have noticed though, depending on what I'm mixing, the 'pin' in the back of my mixer shimmies out. I just tap it back with a hammer. I think I mentioned it somewhere else, and other people had this happen too. Still not worth not using the Beater Blade though!

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:05am
post #10 of 22

I have one too - love it! I got mine for $25 (shipping included) from Amazon. The squeak at first but then once the butter/batter/etc gets under the rubber gasket, it's fine. It really have eliminated the 'stop, lift & scrape' that is usually the unwelcome mantra of the Kitchen Aid.

Cakepro Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:40am
post #11 of 22

I bought one for my 6 qt KA and my 4.5 qt KA...LOVE LOVE LOVE them. The one for the smaller KA was on Amazon for $17 with free shipping. I will be getting them for my 5 qt Artisan and 5 qt lift-bowl KA's too. I LOVE NOT SCRAPING THE BOWLS!! icon_biggrin.gif

staceycake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #12 of 22

Wow! Thanks for the great info. I'd never even heard of this before. Sounds much better than having to stop and scrape all the time.

chelleb1974 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 22

Hey guys, I just got an email from Gary at New Metro Design LLC (the maker of Beater Blade), and there is a link on their website on how to fix the pin shimmying out!

I don't know if everyone who posted here got an email, but here's the link to their website with the link to a video to show how to fix it. I did, and it was soooooooooooo easy to fix! I also checked and adjusted by blade a bit too, it had to be raised up a bit.

Good luck everyone! I was soo excited to get this email! icon_biggrin.gif

Memie Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 22

Chelle, thanks for the link about the hinge pin. That thing has been driving me nuts!

chelleb1974 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 22
Originally Posted by Memie

Chelle, thanks for the link about the hinge pin. That thing has been driving me nuts!

Thank you, me too!!

I sat here in awe, my jaw wide open, watching the video. I think I muttered "Holy crap, that's what mine does!!!" lol!

The screw didn't tighten too much when I tried it, but maybe it only takes a little bit to make it shimmy like that. icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 22

I love the beater blades so much, the original KA blades are now just my backups because I have two for each size of mixer that I have! They're amazing. Mine only squeaks when the bowl is empty, and I take that as proof that the rubber is actually scraping the edge of the bowl!

Thanks for that video link too!!!!!! One of my mixers has been doing the same thing, and now I see why! I'm so glad I can fix that!

chelleb1974 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 22

The next time you color an entire batch of frosting the same and use the KA, watch how quickly it gets the color all mixed in. I was amazed the first time I saw it!

PattyT Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:54pm
post #18 of 22

I LOVE mine! ...and I want a second one too!

Like SharonK1973, mine only sqeaks when it first starts up on the bare bowl. Once there are ingredients it's fine.

I do find though that I have to clear the front edges of the Beater Blade just before I finish. Stuff kind of cakes up on the side "pushing" the ingredients. Small price to pay for not constantly scraping.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #19 of 22

I couldn't believe it, a guy from the company must have read these threads because he called today to replace my broken ones! WOO HOO! I was so excited because I really do love them. I have used two mixers at one time, one with a regular beater and one with a beater blade and the beater blade bowl is TONS smoother than with just the regular beater attachment. I was so sad to only be down to one beater blade but am so excited to be getting replacements!!!! He did say they have warranties so they do stand behind their products.

chelleb1974 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:00am
post #20 of 22

Woohoo - that's awesome!!! Yes, I agree they must read them, that's how I got the email about the pin in my KA icon_biggrin.gif

tenleysmommy Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #21 of 22

After reading this post I will be buying one tonight!Thanks!Good to know they have great customer service too.

kayla1505 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #22 of 22

its been on my wish list for a long time.

I'm gonna order one this week. I'm tired of scraping the bowl when I make buttercream. I hate making buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%