Egg Whites Or Meringue Powder For Ri?

Decorating By erincc Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 11:06pm by khoudek

erincc Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 8

Is there a difference between Royal Icing that uses egg whites & meringue powder? I'm making a dummy cake with scrollwork. Is one better than the other? I've only used meringue powder RI before. Thanks!

7 replies
ttehan4 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 8

Ive used it both ways. I dont really think there is a difference in texture or piping wise. I think the MP doesent separate as bad as the egg whites if you are saving leftovers.

khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:32am
post #3 of 8

Merignue powder has a percentage of corn starch in it. If you pipe with very small opened tips they can plug up easier than with pure egg white or egg white powder.

prterrell Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #4 of 8

I have never had a problem using the meringue powder based RI, even with the 0 and 00 tips. I only use CK brand meringue powder.

cakegrandma Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 8

I use MP also and like prterrell have never had any problems using the 0 or 00 tips. Also using the meringue powder is safer when Royal Icing for flowers or decorations that may be eaten rather than egg whites. I hope our opinions help you decide.
evelyn

khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 8

I never thought I had problems either until I took a course in Lambeth and Australian piping methods. Our instructor had us use egg white royal icing and it was such a difference. Much cleaner piping. I was sold at the week's end. Real egg white icing yellowswith age though, so I'm now buying the powdered egg white.

erincc Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 8

Hmmm...where do you get your powdered egg whites? I don't want to risk the RI yellowing because it's for a dummy cake that I'm doing at least a week in advance. (So at least I don't have safety concerns!)

Thanks!

khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 8

Global Sugar Art has 4 oz containers of dried egg white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%