Candy Melts For Ganache?

Sugar Work By montana618 Updated 7 Jul 2017 , 4:04am by SandraSmiley

missheadley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missheadley Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 7:28pm
post #31 of 44

There are loads of opinions about ganache. If it tastes good and achieves the look you want then do it!

There are a couple of things though, white chocolate, isn't actually chocolate. Chocolate, traditionally meant that it contained cocoa solids as well as cocoa butter. Much of the white chocolate available has alternatives to cocoa butter and contains no cocoa solids. 

My only concern with candy melts is that it contains partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Liquid oils are processed heated to extremes and hydrogen atoms are added so that the double bonds between the carbons break to form a single bond chain with saturated hydrogen bonds. This essentially converts a liquid, unsaturated fat, into an artificial- saturated fat. Obviously when making ganache there is no way of getting around the fat content, it's a treat after all. Chemically the difference is to do with the shape of the chain that is formed. Hydrogenated fats are linked with cancer. It worries me how many harmful ingredients are given to children. They are easier to work with, they take dyes beautifully and they don't seem to suffer from sugar bloom, but they might be doing more harm than good. Use them, but sparingly.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 8:09pm
post #32 of 44

I use Trader Joe's chips for ganach. I use Merken's melts only for candy boxes. AllI can tell you is the boxes are pretty but they get eaten.Honestly, If I was out of reall chocolate and used melts few of my friends,if any, would know. Now, if I making something for foodies I use Callebaut. iF I am making a flour less cake,it's Callebaut again. So that's my two cents. 

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:41pm
post #33 of 44

Such debate and consternation over candy melt ingredients and whether or not it can be called "ganache"?  Especially from people who use high ratio shortening and coffee creamer in their icing and have no problem calling it buttercream.  Tsk, Tsk.  Personally, I sometimes use candy melts in my modeling chocolate (I guess that would officially make it "candy clay") but I only use real chocolate for my ganache.

To the OP, experiment with your candy melts and see what you like.  Call it what you want.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 2:41am
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

Such debate and consternation over candy melt ingredients and whether or not it can be called "ganache"?  Especially from people who use high ratio shortening and coffee creamer in their icing and have no problem calling it buttercream.  Tsk, Tsk.  Personally, I sometimes use candy melts in my modeling chocolate (I guess that would officially make it "candy clay") but I only use real chocolate for my ganache.

To the OP, experiment with your candy melts and see what you like.  Call it what you want.

Bwuahahahaha! But I'd vote a hells to the no for candy melts used to make ganache. Gross.

Maybe someone will create a substance made from candy melts and coffee creamer instead of chocolate and cream and start a gourmet ganache flavors thread about it.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 3:41am
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Bwuahahahaha! But I'd vote a hells to the no for candy melts used to make ganache. Gross.

Maybe someone will create a substance made from candy melts and coffee creamer instead of chocolate and cream and start a gourmet ganache flavors thread about it.

I'm more interested in what you would call this? Gourmet Amaretto Goo? GAG for short!

I crack myself up... sigh.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 4:20am
post #36 of 44

Around here I think we named that "fauxnache."

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 5:24am
post #37 of 44

Oh good grief. Call it Unicorn chocolate for all you want, but it ain't ganache!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 10:53am
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Oh good grief. Call it Unicorn chocolate for all you want, but it ain't ganache!

But it is GOURMET unicorn chocolate? 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 11:33am
post #39 of 44

Come, come now.  Any self respecting unicorn would not have their name associated with such a product.  After all unicorns are about magic and I can't imagine that there  would be much magic in a ganache made with candy melt.  Make mine Callebaut any day.  Actually I'm sitting here eating the Callebaut out of a cup, rather than cooking with it or tempering it as it tastes sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:29pm
post #40 of 44

I just purchased 2 bags of wilton DARK COCOA RASPBERRY candy melts. Ingredients claim there is cocoa powder in it so I will attempt to make a faux ganache with it.

Gourmet Chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gourmet Chef Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 12:06am
post #41 of 44

Hi, I would be buying candy melts all the time were there no hydrogenated oil. Hydrogenated oil is a preservative. I don't like how fatty and unhealthy it is. Is there no healthy alternative????? :(

madewithloveYG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madewithloveYG Posted 4 Dec 2014 , 4:02pm
post #42 of 44

A

Original message sent by KHalstead

I use semi sweet chocolate chips all the time for ganache and it's gorgeous and shiny and delicious!

Here's a cake covered in it. [URL=http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/e/e6/e68f797f_ganachescrollsresedited_312.jpeg]LL [/URL]

How do you get the color so black ??

sophiedolan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophiedolan Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 3:44pm
post #43 of 44

Hello all, 

Sorry but my question still stands. Can you use the candy 'ganache' recipe?  and does it drip nicely over buttercream? does it separate? The question isn't about whether or not we should or shouldn't use real chocolate. The question is will it work?

If we are using the candy melts it's for a reason, I for example, don't have good quality white chocolate in this area and this cake is an express order and I do not want to risk the chocolate splitting, I also need colors that are baby pink and baby blue, which with a yellow-y chocolate ganache just doesn't work.

There is no need to judge people for their decisions, they are making them for a reason. 

Thank you 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 4:04am
post #44 of 44

I always use real chocolate for ganache, but in defence of Wilton Candy Melts, they make a fine modeling chocolate!  Since my figures have wire armatures and will never eaten, whether or not they are food doesn't concern me, only how it performs as a sculpting medium and it rocks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%