Candy Melts For Ganache?

Sugar Work By montana618 Updated 7 Jul 2017 , 4:04am by SandraSmiley

montana618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montana618 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 44

Hello-Can I use as a substitute for chocolate chips in a ganache recipe?

43 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 44

Ewwww. Wilton candy melts do not ganache make. You could but I wouldn't tell people it was ganache. I don't know what you would call it.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 44

icon_surprised.gif NONONONONONONONONONONO!!! icon_surprised.gif

I'm convinced that candy melts aren't even food.

montana618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montana618 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 44

THANKS! I was really thinking of trying it & now I know better!

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 44

Maybe I'll try it and let you know....I have some lying around

tx_cupcake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 44

The thing I really hate about candy melts is that they get all waxy with an almost flaky look when they harden again. Once I mistakenly used them to coat the tops of cupcakes, and man was I disappointed. Never again!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 44

I've made it with them, this is actually the only way I have done it and it works just fine. I like the darker candy melts. Those that have eaten it have never complained or said anything bad about it. In fact they have all loved it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 44

I use semi sweet chocolate chips all the time for ganache and it's gorgeous and shiny and delicious!

Here's a cake covered in it.
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 44

Chocolate chips, sure. Wilton candy melts? Uhhhhh, that ain't ganache.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Yikessss, they're not food???? what are they??? I know that Wilton's candy melts are pretty bad so I never buy them.
I buy mine from a little shop that swears her candy melts are made out of real chocolate...

nanaburrows_nanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanaburrows_nanacakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 44

I see your comment about using semi sweet chips for ganache. Do you just melt them or do you add heavy cream. Thanks - love your cake. Nana

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 44
Quote:

thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 44

i use wilton or merkens chocolate disk all the time for making ganache. i do consider mine food.. sorry for those that are above using wilton products.. like TexasSugar. all that i make it for ... love it.. my family loves it when i make ganache.. i use the dk. chocolate when i make it. have made with the merkens pure white. and wilton white...

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i use wilton or merkens chocolate disk all the time for making ganache. i do consider mine food.. sorry for those that are above using wilton products.. like TexasSugar. all that i make it for ... love it.. my family loves it when i make ganache.. i use the dk. chocolate when i make it. have made with the merkens pure white. and wilton white...

Oh icer, everyone knows how in love with Wilton products that you are, and it's ok. I use a lot of Wilton products. Yet again, let's clarify that Wilton on the whole is not crap. Some things they make are crap. Candy melts serve a purpose. Ganache ain't one of them. Sorry, I don't care what you want to call it, but it ain't ganache.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:49pm
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaburrows

I see your comment about using semi sweet chips for ganache. Do you just melt them or do you add heavy cream. Thanks - love your cake. Nana

Yep, 1 part heavy cream and 2 parts chocolate chips.

I've made a ganache filling before using milk chocolate almond bark (probably just like wilton's candy melts) and it was good (little sweeter than I personally like because it was milk chocolate and not semi sweet )...but the flavor was good! I guess I think of chocolate chips as being the same as candy melts (aka cheaper alternative to good quality chocolate)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 44

well. at least i didn,t have to change my username to stay on here... got all brands of products just like you.. aren,t you the one..that beats your neighbor down the street in the ground in all your post.. yeh.. i think you are.. lol

tx_cupcake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:58pm
post #17 of 44
Quote:

Oy with the sensitivity already! No one is putting down Wilton per se. Candy melts are not chocolate. Ganache is traditionally made with chocolate. Generally, when people request ganache, they are thinking CHOCOLATE. And because candy melts are not chocolate (go ahead, read the ingredients), I was making a joke. Har dee har har. Jeeze Louise! icon_rolleyes.gif

tx_cupcake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Yikessss, they're not food???? what are they??? I know that Wilton's candy melts are pretty bad so I never buy them.
I buy mine from a little shop that swears her candy melts are made out of real chocolate...

The candy melts that I have are Wilton, and here is the ingredient list:
sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil palm kernel, palm), nonfat dry milk powder, whole milk powder, soya lecithin, salt, natural flavor, sorbitan tristarate, artificial flavor

I can not speak for any other brand.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 44
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

The candy melts that I have are Wilton, and here is the ingredient list:
sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil palm kernel, palm), nonfat dry milk powder, whole milk powder, soya lecithin, salt, natural flavor, sorbitan tristarate, artificial flavor

I can not speak for any other brand.

Ahhhh, I see what you mean. Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:29pm
post #20 of 44
Quote:

well. at least i didn,t have to change my username to stay on here... got all brands of products just like you.. aren,t you the one..that beats your neighbor down the street in the ground in all your post.. yeh.. i think you are.. lol

Woah there! Um, I'm pretty sure Jamie did not change her username so she could remain a member. Believe me, if you mess up & are banned on this site, you ain't getting back in no matter what you are called (they check your IP)!

I changed my name too recently, just because I felt like it. It's allowed and no-one has to justify it to anyone. thumbs_up.gif

If you are happy using candy melts in your 'ganache', that's great (really), but you can't call it ganache, because it's not. I challenge you to find a sound ganache recipe that contains candy melts. Ganache is made using real chocolate, plain and simple. I'm sure that's all the PPs were stating, not launching an attack on Wilton/Merckens or any other brand of candy melts. They do have their uses (choc transfers etc), but ganache isn't one of them.

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm
post #21 of 44

wilton acutally calls it

Basic Truffle Candy Center

Ingredients:
14 ounces White Candy Melts®
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Makes: Each candy serves 1.

instructions
Chop Candy Melts (or place in food processor) to smaller pieces. Heat whipping cream in saucepan just to boiling point. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add chopped Candy Melts. Stir until smooth and glossy. Note: May be formed into round balls for candy centers. Dip into melted Candy Melts for truffles. Coat with cocoa, chopped nuts, jimmies, etc.

*Brand confectionery coating.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone691961

wilton acutally calls it

Basic Truffle Candy Center

Ingredients:
14 ounces White Candy Melts®
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Makes: Each candy serves 1.

instructions
Chop Candy Melts (or place in food processor) to smaller pieces. Heat whipping cream in saucepan just to boiling point. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add chopped Candy Melts. Stir until smooth and glossy. Note: May be formed into round balls for candy centers. Dip into melted Candy Melts for truffles. Coat with cocoa, chopped nuts, jimmies, etc.

*Brand confectionery coating.

Well all credit to them for not calling it something it isn't thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #23 of 44
Quote:

Oh yeah, another person who can't read sarcasm when it's so painfully obvious to everyone else. dunce.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm
post #24 of 44

One thing you need to be aware of is when you start 'substituting' ingredients that you can have a LESS THEN DESIRABLE effect on your end product.

This point in case!

GANACHE is a hot topic here on CC at the moment - us Aussies have been using ganache under fondant here for years and years AND LOVE IT!
It appears that lots of MIS-information is appearing here though which results in lots of confusion.

PLEASE consider this :-

If you are planning to use your 'ganache' under fondant - then you DO have to be careful what chocolate you use. And this is NOT chocolate snobbery as you suggest! It is scientific !! the ingredients contained in chocolate 'substitutes' are DIFFERENT - they have a much higher OIL content and also have a high water content. This will effect the shelf life of your 'ganache' - it will effect how it SETS and may affect how it reacts with the fondant.

When we tell people that ganache is SAFE to be left unrefrigerated for days - we are saying this is CORRECT - but only IF you use the products containedin the recipe!! Bacteria need food, warmth and moisture to multiply - Compound chocolate (as in Wilton candy melts etc. ) with their high water content provide too greater food safety risk.

Same goes for people that whip their ganache - by introducing AIR into the mix you are providing FOOD for bacteria - and this will reduce your shelf-life as well - this might be OK for whipping and putting on your cakes as a final coating but NOT RECOMMENDED for use under fondant!

Wilton does not have a strong foothold on the Australian market - and from reading CC - am sort of glad!!

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #25 of 44

Nicely said Applegum. icon_smile.gif And LOVE your signature!

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 12:45am
post #26 of 44

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a pseudo-ganache question--if you do make a ganache-like substance from Wilton Candy Melts and Cream, will it pour like real ganache and coat a cake sort of like poured fondant or aganache glaze? 

I'm wanting to coat a tall narrow cake layer with something lime green, and one of this year's new flavors for Easter is Key Lime Pie Candy Melts (They actually taste quite yummy!!) and I thought it might work for this cake.

I've done many cakes with real ganache, so I know what I'm looking for, but I'd hate to waste time and money if it just won't work technically and someone out there already tried it.

I also don't need a shiny ganache mirror glaze loo. A matte finish will be ideal.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 1:01am
post #27 of 44

I use Callebaut Chocolate chips or just the chocolate chips from the grocery store. There are plenty of good ones at the store.  If you like candy melts, great but they don't make a true ganache.

Airmansgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Airmansgirl Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 3:38am
post #28 of 44

Using the basic Wilton recipe in discussion here, how many mini heart cakes do you think it would cover? I've got a pan that makes six mini cakes at a time (about 2"x2"x2"-the one in the picture), and I'm trying to figure out how many supplies to buy. The website says it makes about 2 1/4 cups, but it doesn't say how many cakes/cupcakes it would cover.

cid5667 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cid5667 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 2:57pm
post #29 of 44

what kind of white chocolate do you use?

LaFontain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaFontain Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:32pm
post #30 of 44

Your cake is lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%