Wires In Cakes

Decorating By rfleming Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 12:39pm by khoudek

rfleming Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know of any food safe wires?? I currently use floral wire, but of course it can't be stuck directly into cake because it isn't food safe. When I was watching Cake Boss (love the show!) I noticed they stick flowers directly into the cake, but it looks like they use a white colored stem of some sort. I'm assuming its wire, but don't know for sure. Does anyone know what they use?? I would much prefer to stick flowers directly into the cake if its possible. Seems like they woudl be much easier to arrange that way. Any ideas???

10 replies
mightydragon663 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 11

I have purchased wires from the cake shop here and I have seen them on Global Sugar Art web site. They are nice for making flowers because the gum paste sticks to it better, but I still prefer putting the little stir straws in the cake before putting the wires in because it seems to give them better support.
I also saw on a different thread that you could dip the wires in chocolate, but since I am a bit on the lazy side, I don't see me doing it. HTH!

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 11

It's really easy to dip the wire into chocolate but it doesn't seem to give the wire the coverage that I would like it to have.

I don't watch Cake Boss (don't have cable) so I don't know what they use, but maybe you could use hollow plastic lollipop sticks as stems...I have made giant gumpaste roses with lollipop centers, hoping that I could stick the lollipop sticks directly into the cake, but my gum glue melted a bit of the centers and I wasn't happy with the white look on the stems either, so I ended up wrapping them with floral tape and putting them in a flower spike.

khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #4 of 11

I think Buddy covers his wires with floral tape. The floral tape is nontoxic paper coated with paraffin wax. There is no adhesive in it or on it. I use floral tape to cover the floral wire, choosing the color depending on what I'm doing. I've taken a number of gumpaste flower courses and bought several DVDs through the years and no one has ever mentioned the floral tape as being harmful or that there is a "special" type for cakes. If you check out the following site you'll see they sell the exact floral wire and tape as wholesale floral people do, http://www.ahcakedesign.com/7-134.html or SugarCraft.com and afloral.com. I've my diploma in floral design and use the exact same stuff for corsages, bouts and bouquets.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 11

I thought floral tape had latex...that's why people weren't sticking it into the cake, in case of latex allergies. I might be wrong though.

khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #6 of 11

This is a quote from one of my floral design text books, The Art of Floral Design, by Norah T. Hunter, p. 111, "floral tape, also called green tape, actually is not a regular adhesive tape: however, it will cling to itself as it is stretched. It is a paraffin-coated paper available in a rainbow of colors." I've never heard of it having latex in it and I have a latex allergy, but have never had a problem with using floral tape. Maybe it depends on brands?

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:00am
post #7 of 11
khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:40am
post #8 of 11

I hadn't come across those posts before. I've boxes of the floral tape and not a one says anything about latex. My skin blisters big time and I start wheezing when I come in contact and I never have so, go figure. I don't know what to say. I've tried googling it tonight too and didn't come up with anything either. I guess until I see the written proof I'm going to believe my textbooks. They're written by people who know the floral industry and its products inside and out so I trust when they tell me what the tape is made of they would know without a doubt. I think I will call a couple of my floral vendors tomorrow though and ask if they have ever heard of this issue before. Maybe it has something to do with if it is a foreign product whose standards are up to America's....kind of like the toys from China.

madgeowens Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:02am
post #9 of 11

I can never get floral tape to stick haha.....I leave the wire long enough to stick down inside a tiny coffee stir stick which is hollow, and stick those into the cake....

khoudek Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #10 of 11

For wrapping gumpaste flowers I cut strips of the floral tape in half. It isn't as wide and bulky then and works better. Also, if you're having problems with it sticking to itself then you need to stretch it out a bit more. That releases the paraffin wax, enabling it to soften and mold to the wire.

khoudek Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 11

Just a postscript to this topic. I've asked my vendors and the brand of tape I buy, "floratape" is made of paper and paraffin wax. I'm not endorsing this brand. Just think it is reasonable to assume that this is typical composition of floral tapes and people can rest assure that latex isn't a component in others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%