Stained Glass Cookies -- How Do You Crunch/break Up Candy?

Baking By cindy58 Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm by mirda6275

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone -- last year I made stained glass cookies with the William Sonoma cutters with some young nieces. Does anyone have a good technique for breaking up the life savers / jolly rancher candies? Or know of something better to use to fill in the openings in the cookies?

Thanks for your help / suggestions!

14 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 15

you can use a food processor (gets it to a nice powder) or else what I do is just stick them in a ziploc bag, put a kitchen towel on top and hit with a hammer or the back of a heavy skillet. If you're doing multiple colors for a real stained glass look, I find it works better to leave the chunks a little larger (so you can adjust where you want the colors to be) but if you're doing all one color, you can pulverise them and it doesn't matter.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 15

ziplok bag + hammer

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 15

Question about these cookies.......isn't the candy part hard to eat? I know how hard it is to eat Jolly Rancher's (you know, it's kinda sticky) and can't imagine a cookie like that. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never had a stained glass cookie before.

KHalstead Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 15

They're not that hard to eat because the stained glass part winds up being so thin, not thick like a whole lifesaver or jolly rancher.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 15

okay gotcha. thanks!

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 15

I tried these this past weekend and they turned out awful. The smashed jolly ranchers that I used seemed to just bake away and flow into the cookies. What tips can you give me that have been successful with these cookies? They are so beautiful and I would love to be able to make them. Pam from Bama

KHalstead Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 15

you probably need to add more candy than you added.. you should pretty much cover the entire cutout of the cookie with crushed candy.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 15

When we did it with the kids they were kind of messy about it (but they liked them a lot) -- if specks of candy land on the cookie part they will melt into the dough.

I was really hoping there was an easier way to make them.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 15

here is a link to what sweetopia just posted on her blog it shows how she did hers

http://www.sweetopia.net/
hope this helps

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 15

Another good way to make them is to bake the cookies a little, then add the candies toward the end. Sugar can burn if it's in the oven too long.

If I have an 8 minute bake time, I bake for 6 minutes, then add the candy, then bake the remaining 2 minutes. The cookie part is the same as usual and the candy has enough time to melt without burning. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 15

For anyone reading this thread and has never made these cookies before.....

1) let them cool completely before trying to pick them up. Yeah, I *DID* find this one out the hard way! The candy needs to cool so it can re-harden, otherwise it's a gooey mess, and pulls away from the cookie. Which is why you need to ......

2) Bake them on parchment or on a sheet of alum foil for easier removal. You can pick up the whole sheet of parchment or foil and set it on a cooling rack so you can reuse the pan for the next batch.

thumbs_up.gif

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:51am
post #13 of 15

Thank you cinderspritzer, I tried them yesterday as you suggested and they came out perfect. Can't wait to bake some more today, Pam from Bama

sjlilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlilley Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 15

Does any one know if you can use just colored sugar in place of the crushed candy?

I thought it would be easier to use and comes it lots of colors.

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm
post #15 of 15

I know you can't use candy sugar as in the large 'sprinkles', they didn't melt when I tried them last year. I used crushed peppermint candies for a white/pink look. If you scrap book or make embossed cards you can use the heat gun to melt the candy in the opening after baking the cookies. That's what I did when the candy sugar stuff didn't melt, but had a bunch of cooked snowflake cookies with empty cutouts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%