Storing Pre-Made Fondant Pieces

Decorating By terrijproductions Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm by Mike_Elder

terrijproductions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrijproductions Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 21

I cut out some fondant pieces for a cake I am working on this week and stored them in the fridge wrapped in saran wrap in an airtight container. Is this the appropriate storage for fondant pieces. That is how I normally store the fondant itself but I knead that out before I use it so I'm not sure if I should have used the same storage technique for the pieces I've created.

Please let me know if you think I should store them in another way. Thank you!
LL

20 replies
Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 21

I think it is best storing them in a cardboard box rather than anything plastic as it can cause it to go soft. Also fondant pieces can have condensation on them that cause them to go soft and sticky if you keep it in the fridge.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 21

Ditto =)

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 21

I NEVER refrigerate fondant! ? It just makes sweat and keeps it soft. I'm guessing you want those to dry (I would) I keep my bits and pieces on a paper towel in a plastic box. never had a problem... I even have a drawer of stuff i use to put extras in. LOL

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 21

No fridge! I store mine in a tupperware container out of light (so as not to fade the colours).

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 21

the fridge is a big no-no for me.
I would take them ASAP.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 21

No to fridge, i just pop them into containers to dry with the lid covering them to keep dust, flies etc off but the container is not sealed so they dry out.

If you want them to remain soft then just pop them in containers with the lid on, keeping away from heat.

terrijproductions Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 21

Do I want them to dry? I'm not sure if they should dry out before I try to put them on the cake or if I want them more "fresh."

I'm still very new to all of this cake making stuff but now I'm nervous that I need to run home and take the pieces out of the fridge immediately. Will they be ruined if they stay in a few more hours until I get home?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot about all of this ... like I said, I'm still a newbie. icon_smile.gif

ksmith1012 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 21

No, they shouldn't be ruined. I would just take them out as soon as you get home.

ksmith1012 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 21

No, they shouldn't be ruined. I would just take them out as soon as you get home.

Mike_Elder Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 21

LOL I normally like my fondant "stuff" to dry a little (or alot)so its firm (if i need it to be) For example, if I'm making wheels or figures. flowers, bows, etc. I always want those dry. Otherwise there's no need for me to make them in advance of the cake... they wont dry in the fridge. infact that should soften them up(atleast moisture wise) I have never had issue with fondant being so moist that in a plastic container it "sweats"?? It kinda boggles my mind that that could happen?

terrijproductions Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I truly appreciate your help!

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 21

I needed some fondant pieces for a cake and made it a week before. I wanted the pieces to curve around the cake cake so I needed them pliable. What I did was to cut the pieces and place them between 2 sheets of cellophane and placed that in a sealable container and popped it into the freezer. When I needed to use the pieces I took it out about 30mins before and left it at room temp and it was a pleasure to work with. It was still totally fexible and there was no condensation.

HTH

janeoxo Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 21

If the pieces that are in the picture are the ones you are refering to and they are just going to sit flat on the cake then you do not need them to dry at all. I personally would only make something like that in advance if timing was an issue. Otherwise I would just make them and put them straight on the cake.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #15 of 21

SScakes, thanks for the tip, I need to make some pieces ahead but would like them to remain pliable also.. This info was abig help

terrijproductions Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #16 of 21

janeoxo I should have mentioned that the reason I made them ahead of time is because I didn't want to be rushed to make all the pieces the night I am pulling the final cake together. I can only work on cakes in the evening and need to do as much in advance as possible. They will be going on the sides of the cake so I need them to be pliable so they will work with the roundness of the tiers.

janeoxo Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #17 of 21

Providing they are kept in an airtight container they should be fine provided they are not hanging round for weeks thumbs_up.gif

terrijproductions Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #18 of 21

In case anyone is interested, when I pulled out the fondant pieces when I got home last night they were in good shape. Exactly as I had put them in there - no condensation issues at all and still pliable enough to shape around the cake.

And Mike_Elder, I just realized that I saw you on TLC a month or so ago. You did an AWESOME job on your cake. How exciting was that opportunity?! I hope to someday have even close to the same skill as you! thumbs_up.gif

Mike_Elder Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #19 of 21

No problem at all! Thanks alot for the compliment! those are always nice! It was A ton of fun! I'm going back in december to shoot more episodes!!! I CAN"T WAIT!!

Mike_Elder Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #20 of 21

I'm always glad to help! Glad things worked out for you! I LOVED doing the show. It was very very trying at the time but It's all good now... I'm going back in December to shoot more UCO

Mike_Elder Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm
post #21 of 21

sorry folks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%