Candy Mold Details....

Sugar Work By sarkee Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 10:22pm by Texas_Rose

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

I have to make the retreiver with bird candy mold. I would like to give it some detail versus just plain chocolate. Any help????? Can't find anything in google with details. Thanks

5 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 6

You have several options...

You can paint the chocolate with thinned icing coloring after you make it.

You can "paint" different colored chocolate details into the mold for accents and then pour the main color in.

You can dust the mold with cornstarch and push fondant or gumpaste into it. I did the anchor on the Navy hat in my pics this way. It's a little hard to get out, but I thought it looked better than chocolate. I used white fondant and painted with gold glaze.

Hope this helps!

Edited to add - I meant to say paint the chocolate with luster or petal dust, not thinned icing color. I have a seashell wedding cake in my pics where I painted the shells this way.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 6

I was thinking I was going to need to paint it first. Do you thin the candy down any? What do you use to clean the brush between colors? I've done candy before, but not had to be so meticulous with it. Thanks for your help.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

I just use melted chocolate. I don't thin it at all. I'm not really sure how to paint first. Unless you mean paint the inside of the mold. That would probably work well. I just clean my brushes really well with running water and then squeeze the excess water out. I always have one brush for each color, so I dont have to clean until I'm completely done, but I guess that's not always possible.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 6

If you can get your hands on some FOOD GRADE cocoa butter, you can melt it and mix it with powdered colors. I find painting the details on after molding is much easier than painting the details in the mold first.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6

I paint the details into the mold with a small paintbrush. Pop the mold in the freezer between colors. Wash the brush with soap and water...chocolate is much easier to remove from a paintbrush than gel colors. When you've painted on all the details, add the main color to the mold and tap it on the counter a few times to make sure it fills in all the space around the details, then just freeze it for a while and it will pop right out of the mold.

I've used my chocolate molds for fondant too...it works well but the details don't come out as sharp looking as they do in chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%