Raspberry Filling With Chocolate Ganache

Baking By lucy18 Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm by lucy18

lucy18 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 4

Need some help...I have never made a cake with ganache...It frightens me for some reason???
I have a request for a chocolate cake with raspberry filling and a layer of ganache over the raspberries...
will it run over the sides?
can I add fondant on this cake?
Oh Brother...HELP ME PLEASE icon_cry.gif

3 replies
ceshell Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 4

There are several easy ways to do this depending on what effect you want.

1. allow the ganache to cool (at least 8 hours or overnight on the counter...or you can put it in the fridge w/plastic wrap pressed firmly on top) and then whip the ganache briefly til it lightens in color (this takes me sometimes as little as 10-20 seconds. don't overwhip) and then it becomes lighter and more spreadable.

2. allow the ganache to cool as much as above but DON'T whip it, just spread it on. It is a little less light+airy but still works great

--^-- for both of these obviously you'd need to put the ganache on first, then the raspberry filling.

3. allow to cool but still retain pouring consistency and then just pour the on top of your filling! Do you mean "filling" or "fresh raspberries"? Either way you can pour it on. If you've let it cool enough you can control where you pour it and keep it from running over the sides.

To minimize any potential for slipping I would highly recommend an icing dam (frankly I'd do my dam out of whipped ganache) and sometimes I'll put a blob of it smack in the center of the layers as a center "glue" point. I love dark choc ganache (70%) but it is nearly impossible to spread on a cake because it firms up so much, so you may want to consider using a piping bag to pipe on your icing dam.

You can then ice the cake in buttercream or whipped ganache or poured ganache or whatever you want! And of COURSE you can add fondant to this cake! Actually some of the most stunning fondant cake I've seen are fondant over ganache which has been allowed to firm up rock hard. Oh the edges they get!! *swoon*

You will probably need to refrigerate it for storing it due to the filling. If so just don't touch the fondant til the condensation has had time to evaporate. If you use Michele Foster's fondant recipe (here in the CC recipe section - be sure to only use one L in Michele when you search) or commercial fondant like Satin Ice, they refrigerate with no issues at all. I've had mixed results refrigerating Marshmallow Fondant but MacsMom has a recipe here that she uses in the fridge all of the time.

Hope this helps!

Bunsen Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:14am
post #3 of 4
lucy18 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 4

wow...thank you so much....I might be back at ya with a few more ?'s...
LOL...again...thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%