Sculpting Into A Cupcake Shape??!

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 2:24am by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 5

I have to shape a cake into a "BIG" cupcake the molded pan you can buy..but instead, I'd like to sculpt cake itself to look like a big giant cupcake since it's expensive to buy the pan and I don't do any of these hardly. Anyone have any ideas for me please??

thanks so much..

4 replies
madgeowens Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 5

I would use a bundt cake pan and carve it from there....thats what i would try

andiesweet Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:33am
post #3 of 5

I made one ( pic in my pics), It came out much bigger than that cupcake pan would make. I made 2 8" rounds a 9" round and the soccer ball. I filled and crumb coated the 2 8s , stacked the soccer ball on top of the 9inch ( filled of course), checked the shape and did any trimming that was necessary. I doweled the 8"cake and stacked the soccer/9" cake on top.
Next I rolled a piece of fondant put on the impression ( optional) Trimmed it to size. I rolled the piece of fondant on a pin and placed it around the bottom oc cake for the "cup" part. I finished the top with buttercream. Make sure you dowel through the whole cake once it is stacked for stability.

If this is too much cake for you. you could easily make the sizes smaller and use the sports ball pan for the rounded top layer.

I hope this helps

cutthecake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:33am
post #4 of 5

I would make the bottom of the cake out of two or three layer cakes which you could carve to taper. For the top, I'd bake a cake in a round-bottom bowl.

jenscreativity Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone for your advice..I will use maybe a 6" cake layer( 2 of them maybe?) and then use my ball pan for the top layer..then just taper down the layered cakes right?? Does this sound right?? I didn't want the cake to be too big,,real small like the pan almost. You think this would work?


Quote by @%username% on %date%