Refridgeration ??

Decorating By mandycakes0701 Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm by tx_cupcake

mandycakes0701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandycakes0701 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #1 of 11

What types of icings NEED to be refrigerated?? Buttercream, Cream Cheese, Chocolate Ganache??? I dont wat to leave anything out that needs to in the fridge.

10 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:49am
post #2 of 11

Hi, buttercream and ganache and stay out but you need to refrigerate cream cheese. And also any fillings made with fresh berries. icon_smile.gif

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 11

I err on the side of caution with buttercream - just to clarify, "American" buttercream (powdered sugar, milk, butter) needs no refrigeration, but real buttercream (IMBC, SMBC, and FBC) are made with eggs and should be refrigerated. I'm sure some will disagree, but that's the way I do it. Everything I've read about ganache storage says it can stay out, as long as your cream to chocolate ratio is less than 1:1. Cream cheese MUST be refrigerated always IMO.

icingrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingrose Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 11

i pretty much fridge everything when im nmot using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

I err on the side of caution with buttercream - just to clarify, "American" buttercream (powdered sugar, milk, butter) needs no refrigeration, but real buttercream (IMBC, SMBC, and FBC) are made with eggs and should be refrigerated. I'm sure some will disagree, but that's the way I do it. Everything I've read about ganache storage says it can stay out, as long as your cream to chocolate ratio is less than 1:1. Cream cheese MUST be refrigerated always IMO.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingrose

i pretty much fridge everything when im nmot using it.

Me too, and I refridgerate all my cakes before ,after and during the decorating process.
I like working with cold cake better (less mess ups) and I prefer to deliver chilled cakes (more sturdy) and I'm super weird about leaving anything with a dairy or egg product out, even ganache.
I do not refridgerate my butter cream (for storage purposes) but I buy it from Sam's and I know without a doubt that it does not need refrigerated.

(I really like using parentheses icon_lol.gif )

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 11

it depends on the specific recipe. i used several recipes from another site, (including cream cheese BC) that has been tested by a food scientist and was deemed safe.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

it depends on the specific recipe. i used several recipes from another site, (including cream cheese BC) that has been tested by a food scientist and was deemed safe.

Where did you find this recipe?

dailey Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 11

a lonnng time ago, i posted a question on egullet about a buttercream recipe from the ever popular "rosie's bakery" that was suppose to be safe at room temperture. well, it caused a *big* stir because many were saying it *wasn't* okay to leave out. at any rate, sarah philips (she has her own website but you have to pay to belong) had her food scientist test it (as well as a few others) and it *WAS* deemed safe if a mere 1/4 cup of additional powered sugar was added.

dailey Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 11

http://www.bigoven.com/112423-Mocha-Buttercream-recipe.html

here is the mocha version of the recipe...yummm!

mandycakes0701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandycakes0701 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 11

THanks everybody!! I appreciate all the help.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks, dailey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%